1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording audio through 3,5 mm jack

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ahmija, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ahmija

ahmija Newbie

Hi

My digital piano has 3,5 mm plug for speakers and my laptop has 3,5 plug for headset.
    Is there any way, i could join the DP's audio output to the headset's plug and record the incoming audio?

Would this work:
    DP -> 3.5 mm male to male cable -> 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter(the male to male cable plugged to microphone part) -> laptop

Also what would be best program for capturing the audio?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't see why not.
    I've recorded from a DVD player and cassette audio output jacks into the Microphone jack on the front of the PC.
    I've used the Sound Recorder in Windows 7.
    Prefer to use Audacity (select 'Front Mic' as the input device).
    If you want to hear the input while it's being recorded, click Edit > Preferences > Recording and check the box for 'Software playthrough'.

3. ahmija

ahmija Newbie

OK. thanks.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

That is what I would do.

However, if you are serious about your music you may wish to purchase a digital recorder. Just like the computer, you plug the output into the mic input. These recorders are far more flexible and so very useful. My daughter is a singer, she records every class she takes for future reference. She may record practice sessions then review the session. She finds the recorder which fits into her pocket, indespensable. Hers has a set of high quality microphones. The quality of the mics set the cost of the recorder. It uses a standard SD chip so she can keep many hrs on the chip before she off loads them to something else or deletes them. There are no moving parts so it ought to last for many years.

5. ahmija

ahmija Newbie

Thanks. I will check that one too.