1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording entire series - Comcast DVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by hoox, Jan 30, 2005.

1. hoox

hoox Member

Is there any workaround to this? I've used the DVR to record series such as 24 and the apprentice with no problems. I recently wanted to try and record the new episodes of the simpsons on Sunday nights. I set it up to record the series, but now it seems to be recording every single episode of the Simpsons that appears on fox. This happens to be a couple episodes a day. All I want are the new ones on Sunday nights at 8!

I also set up a series recording for my girlfriend on MTV. Well good old mtv just happens to play this show a dozen times a day, so my box records every single showing. Pretty annoying.

2. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

I have the same problem with Comcast and the Motorola DVR! Have you set it up to record "First Run Only"? That should (theoretically) only record new shows, not reruns.
    I had a single-tuner box before, and that had the option to record the same channel & time every day, Mon-Fri, or weekly. Since I replaced it with the dual-tuner box, I've been going nuts.
    I have the same problem as you're having with the MTV show. I record a show on Fine Living, but the Guide description for the show never changes, and it's on 3 or 4 times a day. Comcast either needs to make the guide better, or improve their software.

3. hoox

hoox Member

Yes I have it set to "first run only." It's the only logical choice. I think the other two options are "all episodes" and "first run and repeats." I could be wrong though, don't have it in front of me. I don't know what the difference between the other two would be. Pisses me off.

4. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

I just talked to Customer Service about some of the other problems I've been having with the box (partial recordings, tuner freezing up, etc.) and mentioned the problem with "First Run Only" and multiple recordings. She said that was the first she's heard about it, but she would pass it on to the engineers. I'm not holding my breath.

5. hoox

hoox Member

I just put in an email to comcast support. We'll see what happens.

6. hoox

hoox Member

I'm impressed. They responded very quickly. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for taking the time to write us.

The first run feature is not working consistently at this time. We are
    working with TV Guide and Motorola to make improvements to this system.
    These is no ETA on when this may occur.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. If you need further
    assistance with any of your Comcast services please reply to this email
    and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you again for choosing
    Comcast and we continue to appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
    Craig

Comcast Electronic Customer Care - New England"

7. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

From the message you got, at least it seems they know about the problem. The same thing when I called them today about it freezing and doing partial records. The rep I talked to said the fix for that should be out by the end of this week.

Don't you think they should have found this out BEFORE they sent the units out to subscribers?

8. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

I was thinking about it some more yesterday, and decided to call Customer Service again. Since the DVR is not working correctly, why should I have to pay for it? I explained all the problems I've been having (the rep knew all about it, and said a lot of people were having the same software problems) and I asked for credit for this month's DVR charge. He gave it to me right away. Maybe if enough people call and do this, and they get hit in their bottom line, they'll be a little more urgentcy in trying to get this "software problem" solved!