1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording " On the Fly " from external DVD-rom

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by ALAND, Mar 20, 2005.

1. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Instead of taking my Cpu apart and placing the cd-rom with an internal DVD-rom I would like to know if anyone has ever used an external DVD drive to accomplish this. I do not want to use my hard drive to record just one click from the external to the internal DVD writer. Can this be done and will it effect the transfer rate.

2. colw

colw Active member

Sounds simple in theory - much more difficult in practice.

Have you thought about compression from DVD9 to DVD5 etc.

Think you have a bit of homework to do - try the guides section at the top of this page.

3. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Compression should be the same as if I used my hard drive and a compression program ( Shrink ) Just use the DVD external as the souce and the DVD burner as the destination. Why cant this be accomplished? Your input is appreciated

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its hard enough getting a good on the fly burn when both drives are internal. The data transfer is very high and speed of that transfer is critical. Using external may cause a slowdown enough to cause burn errors. You could try it with a RW disc and see what happens.

Jerry

5. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I can always go out and buy one and return it if doesn't work. I will let you know. Thanks again

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have had success burning on the fly to 3 burners with Nero. Whether I would do it with an external ROM, I am not sure. I would give it a go if I were you. I do like to try things, nothing ventured nothing gained. All you will lose is time! As said before use RWs.

You will have to use USB2 to ensure good data rate transfer. That goes without saying!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005