1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording season DVD to multiple discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by rabbiTT, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. rabbiTT

    rabbiTT Guest

    Hi guys, I know this is my first post here but I have often visited this forum as a guest for info for several months, but despite searching I am at a loss.

    Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but none of the guides seem to tackle this particular problem.

    I am going on an extended vacation, long flights - no in-flight movies so I carry my own, but not wanting to take and possibly lose my originals I want to back them up. I would like to keep the extras, since well, I'm on vacation and need things to occupy my time.

    The issue is this - there are some season DVDs that I want to copy, however, they are DVD9s and handling the split seems a bit different as the guides deal with movies in which case the VTS_01_X.VOB files are the ones needed. However, my DVD has the main files like this, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB,VTS_03_1.VOB,...VTS_13_1.VOB.

    I've done just the movie and left out extras when I'm going on flights. But the episode DVDs have me stumped. Any suggestions? I already have DVD Decryptor, IFOEdit and ImgTool along with Nero6. What do I need to do in order to acomplish this DVD9->DVD5 conversion, keeping everything intact?

    Many thanks in advance.
     
  2. laddyboy

    laddyboy Regular member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    4,188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Look at one of the many guides available online for DVD Shrink (freeware.
     
  3. rabbiTT

    rabbiTT Guest

    Did that already dude - as my title says I want to do this across multiple discs, as of the 8GB or so, at least 90% of it are the episodes and the other 10% or so are outtakes and deleted scenes - all of which I want to keep. There are no extra soundtracks, it's all in Dolby Digital and there are no multi-angles or trailers or crap like that. If I do the 60% compression it takes I believe the degradation would be QUITE noticeable.

    Bottomline is that I don't mind spanning it across two discs.
     
  4. laddyboy

    laddyboy Regular member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    4,188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    First of all, the quality of TV episodic DVDs even with 50% compression is usually pretty good. Try it and see if you like it.

    Secondly, Shrink can be used to put episodes on separate disks as you want by re-authoring. The disadvantage is that you lose the ability to use menus. Stuff plays sequentially. You can use other freeware programs to make your own menus, etc., but it's very time consuming.

    Another way to use Shrink and keep menus is to leave it in full disk mode and use the "still image" compression for the eps you don't want on any particular disk. Say for example you have a disk with 3 episodes and special features. For the first disk, set ep 3 and sf to still images, analyze and burn. For the second disk set ep 1 and 2 to still image and ep3 and sf to no compression, analyze and burn. It's quick and dirty and the menus are retained.

    As I said before, there are guides all over the internet that show how to do this. You can also use commercial programs, some of which are designed to do exactly what you want.
     
  5. rabbiTT

    rabbiTT Guest

    Thanks laddyboy...I actually took a chance with DVDFab and figured at worst I'll have a couple of DVD coasters, but hey waddya know - it came out OK. Now I just have to learn how to delete those pointers that now lead nowhere on the menu.
     

Share This Page