1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording using a desktop

Discussion in 'General audio discussion' started by rtrg, Mar 23, 2017.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

HP ELITE 8000 CMT at hand. Rear audio line in/out available. Multiple format cd/dvd recordable drive. VLC with record function available. Please tell me how to record to the HHD and/or a cd or dvd from an external source such as a cd player, dvd player, cassette, ect using the REAR LINE IN port. Do I need a CAPTURE device for video? USB powered? Disc formats usable such as (-), (+). (R), (RW)? Any other FREE software to install? A step by step format in simple terms please. Minimal computer jargon. Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Simplest is using 'Recorder' that comes with Windows (7, 8, don't know about 10).
    It's in 'Accessories'.
    Simply connect the source to 'Line In' using a suitable cable and click 'Record'.
    It saves the output to a .wma file.
    Better is 'Audacity'.You can set the length of time for the recording then and export it in different formats.

Mez likes this.
  3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I tried AUDACITY to record from my radio app. Worked except the app would not let me save or export it to any other app or storage folder. If I record and close the recordings are not saved. I do not want to minimize the app to the tray just so I can keep recordings. I tried to enable the line in port but despite an apparent active port I cannot use the port in any other app to record such as vlc or potplayer. Both indicate an error, "no signal present at input port". Solutions please.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I think you want line out as in speaker not line in as in microphone.

Mez likes this.
  5. attar

attar Senior member

6. Mez

Mez Active member

When you are 'recording' the screen will be 'busy'. It is obvious if you have recorded before. If you can't see anything going on you are doing something wrong. Most likely DDP got it right. You need to capture from the source making the audio. This is not unusual to be screwed up. I remember once, I needed to reinstall the drivers for my sound card so sometimes it is easier said than done. The good part is it 'remembers' the set up so you only have to go though this once. Then you forget how it was set up so you will need to repeat this when you get a new computer and you will be scratching your head.