1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording vcd's

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rocketman, Jul 25, 2001.

1. rocketman

rocketman Guest

i am trying to record an actual vcd that will play in a standalone dvd and was wondering how to go about it and if there was not any programs out there that might help me? thanks.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Recording a VCD is really piece of cake if you have all the MPEG-1 video clips ready. Just use some good CD burning tool, like Nero ( http://www.ahead.de/ ), and choose VideoCD as your format and drag'n'drop the MPEG-1 files into the layout.

If you _don't_ have MPEG-1 video clips ready, use TMPGEnc to encode your existing AVIs (or whatever) into VideoCD compatible MPEG-1 clips. You can download TMPGEnc from here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/specific.cfm/319

3. rocketman

rocketman Guest

well i got the files i want to mpeg-1 format. but i heard that there is some root directory file that i have to create so it will play in vcd player with autorun. i am on the right track or what should i do now?

4. dRD

You're kinda right -- VideoCD has certain type of file structure, but you _can't_ create it by yourself by just creating directories to CD. Instead, you should use your CD writing software (Easy CD Creator, Nero, etc) and when asked which format you want to use, choose "VideoCD" -- this type can't have anything else except MPEG-1 files within it. Software then creates the disc layout and required extra files and directories for you and burns that into the cd.

You can fit appx. 700MB of MPEG-1 files into one VCD (depends on how many separate files you have), totalling 74minutes of video -- this is something you can't do by writing the files into data CD. Data CD even if it has all the same directories and similiar filenames as VCD, cannot be played with VCD/DVD player, because the physical structure of the disc is different. (just like you can't just burn .wav files into data cd and play that with your CD player -- instead you need to choose "audio cd" from your writing software).

5. bdgsr

bdgsr Guest

I downloaded Nero, but I can't get it to record a video cd. I dragged and dropped the file into the window to record and selected Burn, but it did not work once the file was done. I am using a music cd for this. Do I have to use a video cd for recording a video cd?

6. dRD