1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording video to dvd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by redflower, Dec 23, 2003.

1. redflower

redflower Guest

I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm in the right place. I have a combination video and dvd player they both record. I am hooked up to my tv with a rf modulator. I am trying to copy my video movies to dvd just for my own use. Some of them record with no problem. Others can not they are protected. Is there a way (hopefully easy) to do this? If so please let me know.

Thank you

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

It Depends on what Type of protection the Video Signal Has..If it is Something like MacroVision which is the same Copy Protection they use on DVD"s and VHS Tapes..If it is this Type of Copy protection then you can use a Device called a "Video Stabilizer"..It is a Box that you put between the Video source and the Video Recorder and it Cleans up the Signal and Boosts and Removes any MacroVision Copy protection..You can Find devices on E-Bay or Big electronics Store ,They go for about $30...Good Luck

3. redflower

redflower Guest

Thank you for your help.
    I am really a novice, are you saying all the movies I have purchased on video or dvd are protected by MacroVision, if not, can you please tell me how tell if my video's and dvd's are protected by MacroVision or something else?

Thanks again

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Most VHS Tapes and Retail DVD"s are Protected By Macrovision...It is the Only type of Protection available on VHS Tapes, As For DVD"s they have Macrovision Copy Protection so they can not be coppied to your VCR or Via a Capture card and they also have encryption so they can not be Coppied Via a DVD-Rom Drive and your PC but this Copy protection has Been Cracked and Many software Programs can defeat that Copy protection ...So if you are Copying VHS Tapes or DVD"s without the Use of a Computer then you can use a Video Stabilizer to record the Tapes on to your DVD Recorder....They are starting to add Copy protection on some TV shows on Digital cable or Satalite so poeple can not Record them and I do not know what type of Protection they use....Cheers

5. redflower

redflower Guest

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Have a Happy New Year.