1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording youtube to dvd

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rtrg, Oct 4, 2018.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I installed an app to record youtube url's directly to the dvd burner. The "copy/paste" method is rejected in any similar app as well. I CAN record YT url's to VLC, sometimes, or DEBUT in screen capture. The advantage of VLC is that I can minimize to the tray and still record. For DEBUT the screen must be open at all times during recording. I have 2 desktops so recording with DEBUT on one leaves the other to use. I can use a capture device to capture the same screen through it which WILL allow minimizing but that is awkward. I can also use an external stand alone dvd recorder but that is something I would rather not do.

I decided to record to hdd using VLC or DEBUT on the second desktop. The issue is how do I then record TO the burner FROM the hdd on that same desktop? None of my research has revealed an answer. It must be a simple process. I know how to record FROM optical TO hdd using any recordable app but NOT the reverse.
    HELP!

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

i tried freemake did not work for me. did not try vso. debut works well except the entire screen needs to be active for recording. after recording the recording can be burned to disc using their built in software and burner tray. any media type will work in my case. i burned an iso. and one dvd. vlc works for recording yt some of the time. copy/paste or manually entering url. might reject it in either case with a useless error message,

4. aldan

aldan Active member

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What I got from his post was that he was trying transcode the download to a burnable and playable format. That would mean a BD or DVD disc structure. Otherwise he could burn any video as a data disc, and it would still work on his computer but he would have to access the burned disc as a storage drive. I've long stopped converting to BD and DVD thanks to large storage portable hard disks available. I instead prefer to take a video file and convert it to a Matroska container because of its additional features using X/H.264 codec.

Provided you can find a file of high enough quality, ripping a Youtube video is really quite easy. The problem is even the HD Youtube videos have very low bitrates and that impacts the quality no matter what your choice.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am now using "OCAM" a free screen recording tool to record anything on my screen including YOUTUBE. No more copy/paste of errors in VLC, "cannot open file". Of course the downside is the full screen must be active and the recording is done in real time. A dvd could be burned from the same file saved in the VIDEOS folder in EXPLORER.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For capturing Youtube video I mostly use Free Youtube Downloader, because it's captured 100% of every video I've gone after successfully. I used to use only VSO ConvertX to DVD because it also works every time, but I rarely convert anything to DVD anymore, and most other things I use Handbrake for. The important thing is that you have something that works and is reliable and gives you the results you desire.