1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Hat 9

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by imtek, Apr 3, 2008.

1. imtek

imtek Member

Hi ol, just instal RedHat Linux 9 for my final year project and workin petty gud but when I insert my pendriv, it doen't detect it..do I 'v to install mor or...ani help plz

Thx
    imtek

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Linux, like our forums, doesn't/don't like annoying text speak, please use real, full words if you want help here..

3. imtek

imtek Member

Hi all, just install RedHat Linux 9 for my final year project and working petty good but when I insert my pendrive, it doesn't detect it..do I have to install more softwares or...any help please

Thanks

imtek

4. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Are hal and dbus working? Are you a member of storage? That should be enough to get it working. If you can't work that out, I think you need to invest some time really learning about Linux from either a book or the thousands of online tutorials, has it really taken you 10 weeks to get this far?

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Don't know redhat, but it must use a file similar to etc/fstab so you can automate the process.

The stick should arrive somewhere like /dev/sda1 so will need mounting like this

mount -t vfat /dev/sda? /media/flash (or whatever you want to call it.. and symlink /media/flash to your desktop.. then it will pop up if the drive is in...

Why don't you try specific redhat help sites. It is a commercial linux OS and I don't think we support it.

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

yea, it will either be /dev/sda1 or sometimes it gets named /dev/sdb1

So mount those to whatever location you want...

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Actually that's outmoded.. plugin devices like flash drives and other usb devices should now be managed by hotplug. It will be available as a .rpm package.

8. blu3man

blu3man Member

you gotta use the command mount.
    There are tutorials on google.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

What the hell do you think that adds to the information already given???

errrrr... like NOTHING!

10. rsnuke

rsnuke Member

I think the problem may be that your kernel may not have the usb_storage module loaded. Redhat 9 is about 5 years old! If memory serves me. Since then, Redhat 9 (community) was killed and Fedora tooks its place, and we are at Fedora 9 today.

When you put your pen usb stick, type "dmesg" if the kernal is not seeing a new device, your missing the usb_storage module.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

rsnuke - please remove the link from your signature, Forum Rules are in mine.