1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rediculous Problem with writing/playback, need some ideas

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by choachman, Nov 11, 2004.

1. choachman

choachman Guest

I've had this problem a few times. I start with a freshly formatted harddrive - 60 gig. Get all my drivers and whatnot. Everything works fine with all my software installed etc... then after making about 10 backups(DVD Decryptor/Shrink method) my computer won't play DVDs anymore, in either DVD drive (one DVD R, the other no writing capability). So now I can no longer watch or write movies. I have no idea what the problem is, but formatting solves it. Please help, any ideas, I can't continue to format each time this problem occurs, but I like being able to backup DVDs.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. choachman

choachman Guest

Thanks, but that didn't solve it. I'm running windows XP, and followed the appropriate instructions, restarted, still the same thing. It reads the FBI warnings and what not, as long as its still frames, it seems to be alright, but once and motion starts, like producer's logos or menus, it just begins moving for half a second, stops for about 10, 15 seconds, moves for another, and repeat.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is a very strange problem? I can't say that I have come across or heard of this happening to anyone else before, and I work on a lot of computers. Here are a few thing's I would try.
    1. Go to control panel and select system under the hardware tab selct device manager and delete your DVD rom drives. Then reboot your PC and let XP load them automatically.
    2. If 1 don't work try uninstalling software one at a time to see which software might be causing the problem. I would start with DVD Decrypter as this program has a few bugs then your DVD playing software, then DVD Shrink. You may get away with just loading your DVD Playing software again so try that first.
    3. Run a virus program and scan the whole computer.
    Try thse three first if they don't work let me know I will see what else could be the problem..

Good luck
    Oh yeah one last thing what is your PC configuration?
    Video Card:________
    Processor:_________
    Memory:____________

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  5. choachman

choachman Guest

Video : Chaintech GForce 4 128 mb
    Processor: 2.2 Gig Pentium 4
    Memory: 512 PC3200 DDR if i remember correctly

I'll get to work on those suggestions, thanks a million

6. regor

regor Regular member

Hi choachman - See if you have any video driver updates for your adapter.

Did you check your HDD space and fragmentation after doing the 10 somewhat backups and then seeing the erronoeus behavior? I ask because I know from experience that HDD space can quickly fill up, and files you didn't even know exist can cramp you up big-time. If you are extremely fragmented that can cause significant performance issues, also.

Do yourself a favor and download (free) Ultra Wipe. In addition to doing your normal housekeeping, run this periodically to free up space you didn't even know you were using and files the traditional system tools ignore.

I probably haven't helped much, if any, but don't dis me for trying :)

R

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah regor I was leaning towards the problem being Video card related but "Coacman" said everything works fine until after making several backups. Unless coachmaqn is playing some sort of game that changes the resolution or something and he is not realizing it? This one has me puzzled. Could be your losing your video card driver some how? Not likely but possible try updating video card driver...

Hope this info helps

8. colw

colw Active member

Bit of a wild guess - but are you using CD/DVD packet writing software such as In-CD or Roxio on your system?

If so, these could be causing the complications you are experiencing. Naturally reformatting would remove these software initially until you start reinstalling the programs.

9. colw

colw Active member

10. colw

colw Active member