1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redirection after new post or post-edit. Post diplay order when replying.

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by ddlooping, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all,

It'd be great if we could be given the option to choose where to be redirected after posting or editing a post.
    I usually like to go back to the post I've just written or edited. ;)

When posting in a thread, the order in which the other posts appear under the reply box is from earliest-to-latest.
    My preference would be for the opposite.

What do you all think? :)

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yep, both ideas sound good, and I'm quite sure I have the code ready for returning back to the post you posted, just haven't implemented it anywhere.

The ordering thingy is bit different to implement, as I'd sorta have to make it most likely a cookie-based global setting -- so once you choose to change the order of messages appearing for one thread, it would after that use that ordering for other threads as well for the duration of your session. And ideal solution obviously would be to stick it into user profile settings. But should non-logged-in users be allowed to change it, as it complicates issues (and adds one "useless" cookie to equation), but rather keep the ordering of threads a feature reserved only for registered & logged-in users. Thoughts?

...seriously, one day I take the forum codebase, remove all the AfterDawn-specific stuff from it and release it as an open source project for other people to develop it :)

3. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi dRD. :)

"But should non-logged-in users be allowed to change it...?"
    Are non-logged users allowed to post?

Sorry if I was not clear enough, but my suggestion was to change the order in which the posts are displayed on the "message_reply.cfm" pages.

Maybe a poll of some sort should be made, so as to get other members' opinions on the matter.

You might end-up not having to make it an option. ;)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004