1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redneck Mods

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Auslander, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

when i put my current pc together, it was more of an upgrade. i put the guts of my HP in a new case to learn how to do the construction, and have thusly (word?) replaced everything except the hard drive (adding more, keeping it), the mobo, and the processor. i'm happy with my setup, and will switch it over to an athlon 64 system by college time. to get to the point of this thread, i took the exhaust fan off my old case (the new case has two) and am using it as a new intake. the case is designed to use all 80 mm fans, and i think this on is maybe 88 or 92 with a frame built around it. originally, i had this held in place with duct tape, but after opening up the case today to do a little tweaking i switched over to 2 paper clips stretched across the case and run through holes in the front (still behind the plastic grill and air filter). for some reason, this has struck me funny as hell. i'd call it a minor redneck mod. overall point: post some redneck mods you have done in the past or are currently working with. i'm hoping for some funnier or more interesting or enlightening than mine, perhaps simply unique ways to add "character" to your hard-working machine. let's see what turns up.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Auslander, I like your way of thinking. If it doesn't fit use it anyway. Just a word of caution, paper clips and electronics don't mix well. Why not use some of those plastic zip ties. I think it would be a little more on the safe side. I run a service department for major appliances. I see all kinds of home repair FIXES that stagger the mind. Good luck with your projects.

Jerry

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thing is, i had tried to use zip ties. but with them, i can't get the fan alignment right. each corner of the fan has one hole drilled in it, and they mate up perfectly with the bracket mount holes on my case. i twist the clip at one end of the fan, run it through the corner and out the case, then run it back in on the other side and twist it tight. this works pretty well. the paper clip wire is a good distance from touching anything except the metal of the case itself, and the thick plastic frame around the fan.

as to the home repair thing, lol, they can be fun! i normally do my stuff in a fairly professional way, but sometimes i kinda have this "savant", i guess, thing goin on with electronics. i'm the handyman around here, after all. lol, no worries, i'm happy.

as a final thought, would you share some stories? i can't sleep, and i feel like laughing! :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]if only i was half wolf...

[​IMG]

Antec SOHO II Server Case w/ 400w psu
    AMD Athlon 2600+ & Seagate 80GB HDD
    Windows XP and a few other goodies[/small]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the mods continue to grow in redneckedness...and my stupidity grows as well. i didn't turn my compi off when i had it open and was adding some stuff and my fingernail got caught in a fan. my newest redneck mod: blood in my case, lol.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

watch it don't grow fur

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I saw the thread title and thought you were gonna bitch about the Moderators :p

You should talk to Praetor - he's the king of redneck mods. I've seen some scary pictures of his PC's.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

@ ddp: it has already started: thick and long fur. time for a haircut!

@ Neph: i like you guys too much to insult ya. and to Praetor I will talk one of these days, lol.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

great, a human wolf & a computer wolf, thats all we needed

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yupps; one will take over the digital world and one will take over the real world.

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Praetor! Aloha! you know what you have to do now, don't ya? post some links to pics of your redneck mods. please! pretty please with a cherry on top! I promise I'll be good! :)

12. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

She's camera shy (and as of today ... a bit on the burnt side :p ... dont ask heehee)

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let's slide this one over to Other PC Hardware :)

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, it is at about that area now, isn't it? thanks, Neph :)