1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reencoding - More Ram Or Quicker Processor?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Tottenham, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Tottenham

Tottenham Guest

Hi there,

I am currently getting real time converting from VOB to MPV usign CCE. (A 2 hr film takes 2hrs to re-encode )

I have a few quid lying around and want to know what would benefit my setup?

He's what I have:

Athlon XP1800+
    256DDR 2100
    Seagate 60GB 7200 HDD (Main drive)
    Seagate 60GB 5400 HDD (Movie Drive)

I have thought about changing the drives around so that the 7200RPM is the one holding the movie files. Will this make a noticable difference to the encoding times?

Also should I upgrade my processor (to a 2100XP) or should I install a further 512DDR?

Will any of the able modifications to my system make any kind of noticable difference, or should I just leave it?

Cheers

2. Insite

Insite Guest

Transcoding occurs at a rate that is slower thatn your HD read/write times. 256MB DDR is plenty, as transcoding really doesn't use that much memory. Your weak link is your processor (in your case). Even with a 2100 though, you won't see THAT much of a performance difference. Maybe enough to knock ten or fifteen min. of your transcoding time.

3. trev

trev Member

If you have the dough I would recommend buying an MP board like the MSI 6501 and
    dropping 2 AMDs in there. You'll notice a WORLD of difference!!

Cheers!

4. Insite

Insite Guest

I might have to add this: Depending on which program you use to transcode, the dual processor setup can either make tons or very little difference. I have dual 2100+ processors. I have noticed very little performance increase in ReMPEG (not too good at multithreaded processing). TMPG and Scenarist however, benefitted tremendously. Not sure about CCE. In ReMpeg with two threads on the dualies it only ever uses about 68% of my total processing power.

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

CCE performs rather nicely using multi-processors (My setup is P3s tho, not MPs).

6. Insite

Insite Guest

I'm actually making my first CCE transcode as we speak. It seems that most of this software doesn't really take full advantage of a dual athlon setup. CCE is using about 60% of my processing resources (high priority) and running at a rate of about 1.5. This is roughly the same as if I run it on one processor.

7. trev

trev Member

I'm now usingTMPGenc on 2 x 2000+ Athlons with MSI 6501-030 MP MB and it rocks.

Fun and games..

8. Insite

Insite Guest

Yeah, I did notice that with TMPG two processors makes a HUGE difference. I can never get my streams to interlace properly in TMPG, though. I always can see scan lines during periods of rapid motion.

9. trev

trev Member

Really? Hrm, that's strange. I get a pretty good
    picture with mine. What are you using as an encoder?

Hey, I have another post regarding a slight delay
    in my audio when using ULEAD, is there a rhyme or
    reason why this happens, the a/v is very slightly out of sync and the actors look like they're lip syncing.. Any ideas?

Cheers!

10. Insite

Insite Guest

For encoding I've used TMPG, ReMPEG, CCE, Ligos LSX, and another which is currently escaping my mind. Every one of them but ReMPEG has weird interlace issues as described here: http://www.divx.com/support/guides/guide.php?gid=11 (except for ReMPEG). I have tried MANY different ways to alleviate them to no avail. As for Ulead, I'm not familiar with it. I do know that if you're demuxing audio and video streams and then remuxing them with another program, you have to take into account the audio stream delay time. I do this all the time with Scenarist. If you demux the audio with DVD2AVI it will tell you the delay time when it's finished. When you remux, you have to offset the audio stream by that many milliseconds with respect to the video.

11. trev

trev Member

Thanks for the tips.. Hmm, I notice that TMPGenc
    has a setting for audio delay in ms.. Basically
    what I am doing is not ripping, I simply capture
    the movie from my Tivo via Pinnacle 7 and h/w and then using the raw AVI I render/encode to MPG2 DVD format with TMPGenc. Then once I have
    the mpeg2, I've been using ULEAD MovieFactory
    to burn it to a DVD+r.. Can I use DVD2AVI to find out the delay and in between which step should I use the program to figure out the a/v
    lag time?

Thanks for your help! ;-)

12. Insite

Insite Guest

Cool setup. I would reccomend, after you've got your raw avi off the Tivo, do demux the audio out of the AVI. Do this with DVD2AVI. It can save it in WAV, AC3, etc. When DVD2AVI saves the file, the delay time will be part of the filename it creates. Then compress the avi to mpeg-2 with TMPG or whatever. I haven't used Ulead, but the next step I would use involves Sonic Scenarist. You can import the audio and video streams, set your delay time, and create chapter breaks. Then, sonic creates all the .vob / .ifo files for you and you just burn them to disk. That way, your delay problem is solved AND you get chapter breaks. What kind of files does Ulead accept? M2V?

13. trev

trev Member

Hey there. Thanks for the helpful tips and everything. ULEAD MovieFactory, I believe, accepts M2Vs however, I am still fairly new to this and like the ease of use because it will take in the MPG-2 (DVD format) that I created with TMPGenc and doing everything for me as well..It imports the MPEG and goes to work on demuxing and then burns all in one fell swoop. So, I'm curious if I use DVD2AVI to find out what the lag time is on the audio and then use that number of ms in the field available in TMPGenc for encoding the AVI to MPEG?? Or should I not set that until I author and burn?? I guess I'll have to experiment a bit with the +RW disk I use so if it turns out of sync again atleast it's not a costly mistake. ;-/

I'll have to check out Sonic too, maybe it's better than ULEAD, I'm still learning! ;-)

14. Insite

Insite Guest

Actually, enering the delay time into TMPG sounds like a good idea. I don't use it often and didn't realize that it had a place to enter that info. Ulead sounds pretty cool. FYI, Sonic is great, but has quite a learning curve and can be time consuming. Sounds like you've got a good thing going with your setup right now. I'd just use DVD2AVI to get that delay time and give it a shot in TMPG.

15. trev

trev Member

Yeah, I went to Sonic's site and perused the info on Scenarist and it definately looks like it's not nearly as intuitive as ULEAD.

I'll try using DVD2AVI and then punching the ms delay time into TMPGenc and post the results on how it works out.

There's also the option in TMPGenc of either using interlace, non-interlace, or 3:2 Inverse PullDown. I was told by a colleague that the 3:2 Pulldown would help with a/v sync but then he's only used the option with SVCDs and when I create SVCDs in interlaced mode I have no problems with a/v sync and the info only refers to 3:2 as helping with better picture and nothing to do with audio..

Cheers!

16. Insite

Insite Guest

Cool. Let me know how the delay time option works in TMPG. Also, as an update to my 'combing effect' interlace issue, I have solved it. I didn't have the 'Force Film' option checked in DVD2AVI so when I would frameserve to TMPG or CCE it would interlace each frame. Checked the option and the problem is now history. The best part is that now I'll actually be using CCE to encode, and an entire movie only takes about forty minutes on my machine. NICE!

17. trev

trev Member

Great news and glad to hear you figured it out.
    I haven't tried CCE but I have heard that it does support Multi-Threading. How does it compare to TMPGenc? Better, easier, more intuitive or quality and time trade off?

I'm going to try to correct the a/v sync issue tonight and see how it goes, I had to re-render
    the avi last night so I can finish the process tonight.

Cheers!

18. Insite

Insite Guest

Well, I haven't used TMPG since I fixed the interlacing problem. CCE definitely seems to be more solid code. Not as many little bugs as TMPG. It's also REALLY fast. I've been using the doom9 guide. It says to first do a single pass vbr and then again do a multipass (set to one pass) and correct some stuff in between. I find that pretty much all the time, the first pass looks REALLY good if I set the Q factor to under ten or so. Each pass is averaging about 45 min on my machine. CCE still isn't taking anywhere near full advantage of my total processing power, so I'd say, at least with AMD processors, that it's marginally good but not great at multithreading. Either way, this is still much better both time and qualitywise compared with having to use ReMPEG. Let me know how your sync issue works out.

19. trev

trev Member

Welp, I have finally successfully encoded a movie with perfect (or near perfect) a/v sync. I am able to do it all in TMPGenc by simply using the Source option. It basically give you a nice viewing screen with the sound waves displayed below the video preview window so you can move the jog slider along the bottom to line up the beginning of the audio with the video. I just get it close and then adjust the ms delay buttons until everything lines up where the film begins. Worked without a problem. Thanks for the insight! ;-)

Cheers!

20. Insite

Insite Guest

Glad you got it working, Trev. Here's a question for you: Scenarist only lets me set an audio DELAY time. I had a movie the other day with a negative delay (VIDEO had to be delayed). Scenarist can't do this. Can TMPG?