1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflashing Modchip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by iOXeR, Apr 30, 2005.

1. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

Recently I found out my modchip was messed up. Now I need to know how to reflash it, but I forgot how. I could only find one website and the instructions weren't clear enough. Thanks.

2. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

First off what kind of chip do you have? some chips can be reflashed through the dashboard, but if your chip is F***ed up then you can do one of two things. Get a programmer for you chip or get an installer disk like slayers and it can do it for you

3. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

It's messed up. I already have slayers, but I really would like to back up the HD. The only possible way is with the programmer, isn't it?

4. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

are you sure it has to do with the flash, it might be the chip is not alligned. what are the symptoms? how do you know its messed up?

5. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

I just ran "tests". First I tried all of the settings on the modchip. No go; it wouldn't boot. I disabled the modchip, and it would boot. From here I narrowed it down to the modchip or the solder points. I re-soldered the pins in the motherboard. I still got the same problem. So I then deduced that it was a modchip problem. The chip was working for about a year, and then it stopped working, so I know it's not misalligned. This might give you a clue though. Whenever I try to start the xbox with the chip enabled, the xbox turns on for about 2 seconds, then restarts. It does this a total of 3 times and then it stays on, but only displays a black screen and the xbox light blinks red. Thanks for the replies, by the way.

6. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

What you are experiecing is called FRAG (Flashing Red and Green Lights). Now FRAGs usually have to do with the chip not being alligned correctly.

Also, usually if it has somethings to do with the flash, the box would boot like normal, but after the xbox logo pops up, it will give you an error code of some kind. Thats why I dont think it is the flash, you chip most likely burnt out.

7. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

Without the chip enabled, the xbox boots and then does go to an error message. By being aligned, do you mean that it is just placed in the xbox the incorrect way? I'll try that but now it doesn't look like there's much hope...

8. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Ok, if it gives you an error message with the chip disabled, there is a possiblity that you broke a track when soldering or you solder the wrong points.

yes, usually this is a very common problem with solderless chips, but it could still happen with the soldered chips too.

what error code are you getting without the chip enabled?

Also, what you should of done when you resoldered all of the points is you should of completely removed the chip and see if it boots up then. That could of told you a lot.

Good luck!

9. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

When I disable the chip I get a "05" error. When I removed the modchip from the motherboard, I got the same error.

10. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Error code 5 means the Hard Drive is not locked. In order to boot "unmodded" the hdd must be locked. This can be done with the slayers disk, but you need to modded to use that disk.

11. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

That's why I thought flashing the chip would work, but I didn't know how to do that without the xbox loading when the chip wasn't working.