1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflow with a Butane Torch

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by kdn, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kdn

kdn Member

Instead of trying the heatgun method I think i would rather use a butane torch, it should have plenty of heat to melt the solder and be a lot more concentrated than a heatgun, just wondering if anyone has any tips for using them? I guess i don't want the flame anywhere near touching the board. I was thinking of mounting the board on some blocks and getting on the floor underneath it and blasting it from underneath on the GPU, H/ANA and RAM chips.

I have three failed xboxs here, two that have had their xclamps removed but have rrod'd again.

I should also say that getting an MS repair is out of the question, and getting them fixed on a reflow is also out of the question.
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. db5304

db5304 Regular member

Way too hot in my opinion, as butane torches get to several thousand degrees and you only want a few hundred.
  4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

please, please, please, please post some before and after pictures when you blow torched your xbox. i would like to know how total carnage looks like...
    you are a greater and more daring man than i am (or to put it differently, i wouldn't suggest it and like to agree with db5034)... but if you choose to ignore our (perhaps wrong?) advice, pictures please.... ;-)
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. Inalbis

Inalbis Regular member

If my xbox rrod again and the rescrewing don´t work I´ll use a blowtorch on it... but just cause i can´t get my hands on a shotgun.

:-D
  6. leerage

leerage Regular member

I would try a flamethrower rather than a butane torch.
  7. manu07

manu07 Regular member

well what i would suggest is using a weller pyropen its a mini handheld butane torch that has a small nozzel that would isolate the heat to where you want it instead of all over the place i have used this torch to remove nand chips of the board so i know the heat is sufficiant and is not over kill
  8. kdn

kdn Member

sorry to disappoint everyone, but I had my mobo sitting there with 3rings, put the torch across the GPU, still rings, but it across southbridge, still rings, did all the ram and cpu, still rings. Got to the point where I was ready to give up, turn the torch onto full power and went across the CPU and GPU once more and bingo.. green lights!! no major damage either, only one small spot where the mobo blistered up (about 2mm diameter) but this box was ready to be chucked out anyway so im pretty happy and this fix should last just as long as any xclamp fix.
  9. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

luckily for you it worked. rather a success story with a butan torch than a disaster story with a butan torch i would say..... hope it holds (the fix off course).

i am in the same boat as you with 2 xboxes, so perhaps i will kill one myself.... i will use a heatgun though!

if so, i will burn the living daylight out of it and post some pictures ;-)
  10. kdn

kdn Member

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we would all appreciate a video of your "xbox 360 microwave fix." 5 minutes on high should do the trick.