1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

refurbished PS2: mod or swap?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by esco600, Feb 25, 2005.

1. esco600

esco600 Regular member

I once tried to mod my v-10 PS2 with a Magic V 5K6, and failed miserably. Lucky for me,
    "the manufacturer" let me exchange it for another (free of charge). Anyway, now I have this refurbished one. What I want to know is if it would be smart to mod this one (professionally of course) because if it is refurbished, doesn't that mean it's had problems before? And what are the odds that the same problem occurs again? So should I mod it or use Swap Magic disks?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

i would say go with the swap magic, also a fliptop.
    why spend the extra money if you don't have to? Mine works just fine and it's not to much of a pain.
    I do have a premodded slim PS2 on the way so i can have one in each room, but only because of extra tax money. i bought it pre modded because i was sure i would screw it up tring to solder all those tiny wires.
    as far as it being refurbuished, who knows. if they did a good jub and fixed it correctly than the problem should not return, it should be good as new. But you can never tell.

3. WEStar

WEStar Active member

I say mod, less hastle then swap magic. you don't have to worry if the games needs an extra swap or fixes (like cdloader for example) and swapping does get annoying after a while (my friend had a ps2 back in the day with neo2.2 in it and I borrowed it for a few weeks and man lemme tell you I hated swapping). As far as it being a refurb unit I wouldn't worry about it, 'cause the refurb units go through the same tests as new units only thing diffrent is that refurbs don't come off the lines fresh so some of the parts have more usage on them.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  4. esco600

esco600 Regular member

sorry to bother you again WEStar but what chip would you recommend for a v-10 PS2?

5. JRoland

JRoland Member

I purchased a broken PS2 off of eBay some time ago. I purchased a new laser and then took it apart. I personall suggest using a FlipTop with SwapMagic.

Number one, it's much easier to install yourself - saving you some $.
    Number two, if you should decide that you want to get rid of your PS2 for any reason, it's very easy to revert back to it's OEM form and sell.

Just my two cents anyway!