1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

refurbishment of dell dimension 5150-the impossible?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by padyboy, Oct 19, 2012.

1. padyboy

padyboy Member

I am attempting to refurbish an old dell dimension 5150 desktop computer from an even older dell xps r450 being used for parts. A minimum of $$ expenditure is part of my plan, basically a 'learning' experience. I have an hp pavilion desktop as #1 and an Asus Eee PC netbook as #2, so I can afford to experiment with my dimension 5150.

So far, I have installed the internal floppy drive in the 5150 frame and have that working, although it looks kinda weird from the front. Now I wish to install the xps hd as an ide drive in line with the optical drive preinstalled in the 5150. I will deal with the master/slave setup later.

Presently I need to determine a way to secure the ide hd in the 5 1/4" drive bay (below the optical drive)in the 5150 frame. I believe I require an adapter kit for a 3.5" to 5 1/4" installation.
    However, the mounting screws are rather ambiguous to me. The 5150 5 1/4" drive bay does not appear to support installation of a second ide drive without a specific cage for the hd.

Before I commit any further $$, I would appreciate any input from you experts as to my quandry.

Grats in advance,eh.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct form.
    why install floppy drive? doesn't the 5150 have any empty 3.5" drive bays?

3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

You can probably mount it in the floppy drive bay,they are both 3.5 inches.

4. padyboy

padyboy Member

I have purchase a pair of rails which will enable me to install the old IDE 10GB HD in the 5/4" drive bay, as you suggested. I suppose I could have used twist ties and fooled around with it, but I decided to fork over the $4.00 for the kit instead.

I appreciate your input.

This appears to be a very good forum.

Grats again.

5. padyboy

padyboy Member

The supporting rails I received from Newegg are to small to support my HD or FD. They cost more for S&H than for the product inself. They would work, if they were as advetised.
    I am now searching for a legitimate internal drive cage to fit my Dell Dimension 5150 computer. No electronics, just a simple metal cage to secure my HD to the case in the CPU. No luck in searching so far.

I would directions as to where I can fins such a drive cage. Thank you.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

read this link. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5150x_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf
    goto section about "Removing & Installing parts". look at the section about "Installing a Hard Drive" & you'll see what the hd bracket looks somewhat.

7. padyboy

padyboy Member

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5150x_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

"did not yield any documents"

8. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

You need to copy and past the address in your search box at the top of the page and it will load the PDF of your computer. I just tried it myself just now.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5150x_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf