1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding Formating PS3 For Install Of OtherOS

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by dpickett, May 26, 2007.

1. dpickett

dpickett Guest

To some of you this may seem like a pretty dumb question, but then again some of you when you get the answere are going to be "oh, good, i was wondering that too!"

When installing linux, removing linux, or whatever (any flavor) everyone uses the term "format the harddrive"

Does it matter if its a quick format, or a full format?

2. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

A full format also performs a chkdsk along with removing the table, a quick format just removes the table.
    full scans for bad sectors.

another difference between quick format and full format is that full format removes everything, while quick format only deletes the root folder and FAT (file allocation table). deleting the fat has the effect that your pc doesn't find the files on your hard disk any more, but they are still there. but because your pc doesn't find them any more, it just writes over them...

3. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Also, if you quick format and you want to get rid of another OS it wont work. You have to do a full format to delete another OS you installed.

4. dpickett

dpickett Guest

Awesome, guys thanks lot for the awesome answeres:)

p.s. I'm not typeing this using my PS3! I gave up on ydl 5.0.1 and got 5.0 to work :)

5. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

6. dpickett

dpickett Guest

Thanks for the suggestion, but as i wrote in the yellow dog thread i was having trouble with the 5.0.1 i tried installing that first, honestly maybe 20 times. It would error out at the end of the install, then i would re-ru the installation and it would finsh then it would never get out of kboot. i dunno, im happy with 5.0 for now, i just ran the update wizard in ydl. I'm not worried about wifi right now.