1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding Thread Titles

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by vurbal, Dec 25, 2006.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It's not petty at all; 'fraid what is petty is the comment you just made, it served no contructive purpose, that's just my opinion :) if you'd rather thread titles are never corrected, feel free to complain when you see pages of utterly unhelpful "help" and the like; each person who is advised their thread is badly titled hopefully learns from it then it helps other people want to help them with the problems within those threads; also it helps people (who need the help) use those threads for help for themselves.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Well said creaky

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Let me add that all of the moderators here were chosen in no small part due to a history of helping people out on the forums. When they talk about the importance of thread titles for the good of the forums they're speaking from experience. They're also echoing both the letter and spirit of the rules.

4. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

It does sound petty, but if your a regular on these forums it can drive you batsh*t... and it's pretty widespread so the mods do have a good point in bringing this up.

5. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

its just semms odd to me that they will close a thred dut to know info in the title but openly allows piracy in others.
    enough said.
    chow

6. varnull

varnull Guest

I think a really good read of the letter and spirit of the rules is in order then. It's not exactly clear sometimes what is and isn't allowed.. especially with respect to piracy. Strangely the site rules are mixed up all over the place, and they are not very obvious.. it's hard to find a specific rule to quote it.. even when you have been a regular for more than 4 years... The same goes for selling items.. It seems that offering swaps, or even to give something away isn't allowed either.

The thread titles is a valid point.. you have a problem and can't come up with a relevant one liner to tell people the basic jist?? go to the disney forums and play with the other 5 year olds.... as is the sig rule, It's clear and open.. no possibility of misunderstanding... and I'm a "report button nazi" on both issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

[​IMG]

"Boots; are you getting too big for yours?

Call 0800-WHOCARES today."

8. varnull

varnull Guest

^^^^^ hahahahaha.. that took me by surprise.. I think I bust something.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what?

10. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Who?

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's a fair criticism. I'll mention it to the admins.

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Where?

vurbal, my comment wasn't directed at you, if that's in any relation to your post.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

I think I pulled a muscle laughing.. Pain today.. nice one jack.. I'll remember that (swine.. making me laugh that hard)

14. ddp

thought so.

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

D, you've lost me. What are you referring to exactly? ^.~

16. ddp

ripper, varnull's stomach muscle.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ah, with you now ;-)

18. xboxdumb

xboxdumb Member

i'm new to the xbox world and too the forums thing too, but i've come here for help, and would like to make sure i do it the right way, but after much reading, and following many links to many diffrent threads i'm still at a loss with my issue. i know i can just keep reading, but there are 187 pages of threads on the issue of softmodding, i read on point that if u didnt know ****** then u shouldnt be modding which may be true, but the fact of the matter is that some of us have HAD to make this choice. me, because i have a teen son, who just had to have the xbox 360, so i started with an xbox, of course not good enough for him, but what ever, the Xbox that i got off e-bay, was modded (y me) the guy was real nice in giving me info over yim, till he wanted a peep show and i wouldnt give it to him, but any way i got the info on imgburn, and some other useful info before he stopped talking to me, i figure at least he let me know what i was getting although i really dont know what i have.
    Ithink the plz help or help me plz comes from ppl like me, that have tried and failed, or dont understand all the ramblings of the threads.
    like i said i've read plenty still doesnt help me with what i need to know.

i do see the point where it can get annoying, and also that yeah come on, put more info in the title. but sometimes there may not be a specific title, other than hey i'm new i'm xbox dumb, but heres what i got, help.......would i get a reply to that, i doubt it, if i knew what i needed help with i could do many searches in lots of places i'm sure, the fact of the matter is i dont know what i have...or how to use it...but i want to know. i've got something good (mayb) so i want help in learning. i can't give the info u all may need if i dont know what info i need or how to get it. thanks for reading my post....an idea maybe to have a page for us true newbies that is good info on the stuff we need to keep from pizzing u guys off, but still get the info we need, all i want to know is what i have. or how to find out what i have would be a better title i guess thanks, Christy-in Missouri

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

absolutely; then just use the best title you can; the point is that it doesn't matter if a title doesn't mean something to everyone, if it at least means something then there's a chance it gets answered.

20. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

or, closed.