1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region 1 to region 2

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dannlynn, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dannlynn

dannlynn Member

I have a region 2 DVD that I want converted to region 1. I copied it using a dvd drive set for region 2 and dvdxcopyplatinum and burned the copy to a dvd drive set for region 1. It appeared to work because I could now play the copied disk in a region 1 dvd unit in my computer. However, when I tried to play in a home dvd player it reported that the disk was not a supported region. Does anyone know what extra steps I need to take to get it from the computer to the player?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Most dvd copy programs make the copy region free so I don't think the region is exactly the problem. More than likely it is the video format that is the problem. Region 1 is usually NTSC video format. I think region 2 is PAL video format. You can convert one to the other using Nero Vision Express but expect to take a few hrs to convert. For more information try using the search feature for PAL to NTSC.

Jerry

3. dannlynn

dannlynn Member

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I could not figure out why the computer dvd could read it and not the player. In the back of my mind I thought there must be some problem with the data structure but did not think of the ntsc to pal problem as I had never dealt with drives from another country before.

I am also new to this forum. Where is the search feature you referenced?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just about center at the page top. Might try a search with google also but it will probably send you right back here.

Jerry

5. jmet

jmet Regular member

Get a DVD player that places all regions and both PAL and NTSC format. They are not cheap though.

6. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

wierd, almost everyone i know (in uk) can read US disks after region free'ing the disk...

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have read that overseas equipment (other than USA) can usually play both video formats without any problem. Only us poor folks in the USA don't have that option although some PAL/NTSC equipment is starting to show up over here.

Jerry

8. pieman

pieman Regular member

Jerry...as i understand its something to do with whether your tv will play a pal signal, differant number of resolution lines between pal and ntsc.When i rip/burn an ntsc disc it plays fine although the quality of ntsc is not as good as pal,and a few artifacts can be seen ie:herringbone patterns when two bright colours are adjacent (nemo against a blue background comes to mind).

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats correct. I never actually heard that one was better than the other quality wise, just different. USA for years was strictly NTSC format. Now we are starting to see some players able to play both formats.

Jerry

10. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

let me assure you PAL is noticeably better quality. also, last time when i was in the US the NTSC TV is MUCH worse quality than UK PAL TV...

looks like UK beats US at something after all!

of course NTSC games generally run faster. NTSC Tekken was faster than the JAP/UK PAL one.... life's a bitch eh? :D

11. colw

colw Active member

NTSC is an acroymn for Never The Same Colour.

It is an inferior format compared with PAL

12. pieman

pieman Regular member

Ah, but, the us have hdtv...blown away or what!!

13. mfmtonyv

mfmtonyv Guest

In Europe almost all the DVD players and sure all the TVs are capable of playing both NTSC and PAL. So if you get to overide the region thing, you're gonna watch the movie for sure. noooo problem. In States though, the most DVD players and TV sets are strictly NTSC. You can get multi system stuff but it's gonna cost you a little more.