1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 2 DVD to burn in a Region 1 Sony DRU-700A issue?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hrdbawl, Sep 10, 2004.

1. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

I haven't bought the region 2 DVD yet, but I know that my Pioneer Elite home DVD player is region 1 as is all my DVD players/burners in my computers. My question is what can one do to back up a region 2 movie with a region 1 burner? Is it possible? I think Shrink can handle this issue just fine, but is there a way to work with the hardware issue? Thanks in advance...

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Get a DVD ripper that can be made region free.

3. pcola001

pcola001 Member

You can make a copy of a pal region 2 dvd using shrink and you can change regions,. But it is like other software it records in format it was orginally recorded in. Buy an apex player it will play as long as the pal dvd is a region 5 and the player will read dvd-r/w cdr-w vcd svcd mpeg 1-2/mp3 . Same as stand alone dvd recorders. Buy you a cheap pal dvd-recom. E-bay use pound coversion -Usa money tho. and check it out. Let me know readtheforumrules@afterdawn.com

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Install a free version of DVD43 and you can rest in peace forever (or almost forever) *_*.

5. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

I appreciate your thoughts everyone, but I only have the ONE dvd region 2 and my current burners for backup in the U.S. and need to know one thing...Can Shrink, DVD Dycryptor, DVD43 etc. allow my burners to read and then backup a region 2 onto a region 1 DVD. I don't want to know what to buy, just whether this is possible or not? Thanks!

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Y E S ............!!!!!!!!!

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No.

None of the softwares mentioned will convert formats. A region 2 DVD will be in PAL format so if your DVD player or TV won't play PAL you'll need to transcode the DVD to NTSC using TMPGEnc. After the conversion you can use TMPGEnc DVD Author to put the film into VOB/IFO format ready for burning.

This link will give you a rough idea of how TMPGEnc works:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd_page_4.cfm

And a great guide for DVD Author:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/tmpgenc.htm

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Sorry I forgot about the PAL and NTSC thing 'cos I was thinking most, if not all of us, would by this time have a multi-system TV and/or DVD player.