1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region 4 psp plays region 1

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by powerbeck, Nov 11, 2007.

1. powerbeck

powerbeck Guest

Hi,
    I accidently bought a region 1 psp movie from the U.S recently and I was going to cut my losses, but I put it in the psp and it worked great!! I bought the psp off someone and it is firmwared (3.71). Is this just a fluke or does this firmware unlock the regions?

2. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

UMD stands for Universal Media Disc ¬_¬ there's no region

3. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

on a umd movie disc there is a region on custom firmeware psp's u can enable the psp to be region free option that's why u can play a region 1 in the psp.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/25/psp-games-region-free-after-all-but-umd-movies-locked/

We've reported before on the fact that some games for the PlayStation Portable do indeed sport a region-coding number, but now that the US games are finally out, we're happy to note that Sony (as promised) did not put a region lock on any of their games. Which means that yes, you can play any Japanese game on that fresh, mint-condition, scratch-free PSP you just picked up (or if you've had a PSP for a few months, there's now a few new American titles you can add to your library). Sony did lock up the UMD movies, so those of you with Japanese PSPs won't get any Spider-Man 2 action.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  4. powerbeck

powerbeck Guest

5. powerbeck

powerbeck Guest

I have heard that games are region free but I thought movies were not. I put the region 1 movie in a mates psp who has no custom firmware and it also worked as well. Maybe the umds are homebrews or something.(If thats possible ). It was pretty cheap too.

6. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

i highly doubt that they would have enabled a region on the UMD, that would defeat the entire purpose of why they created the format in the first place.

^_^ sadly, homebrew doesn't come as easily as on official PSP UMD's, if that were the case, most people would have downgraded to 1.5 ages ago =p

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

All UMD Movies are region encoded... unless they've recently lifted this?

8. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

as far as i know they havn't liffted the region code.

9. powerbeck

powerbeck Guest

Thats really weird then.

10. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

it's the same as going out and buying a normal dvd these have region codes to.

11. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

the initial intentions were to make a disc that was entirely region free hence the UMD title (explained above), i personally think it's rediculous putting regions on the UMD Movies

12. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

so do i put, sony knew what they were doing u can't even copy the umd movie's or can u??

13. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Well, you say "Universal" Media Disk, meaning that they can be used universally, without region. I always took "Universal Media" Disk as meaning that the disk could be used with any media; photo, video, music, game...

14. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

well.. clearly there's been a misinterpretation somewhere XD, more to the point, when are they gonna release a UMD player? or have they already done that... i've never heard of any news on that... XD

15. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

16. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

sounds impressive... surely i would have thought they'd implant a UMD Drive into the side of a PS3... (still wish i had one of those ¬_¬)

surely it wont take them that long to create that UMD Player... thanks for the info Anto

17. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

no problem :)

18. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

i've tried many methods, and failed awfully to back-up these films... seems almost impossible

19. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

so have i but no luck yet just getting an iso image file and no way in burning it.

20. MonoSoft

MonoSoft Regular member

you found a UMD Writer? wow... didn't have any knowledge of their existence..... so you can burn PSP Game .ISO's (.CSO/.DAX)?