1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region code change with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Saselven, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Saselven

Saselven Guest

Hey there,
    Have used DVD Shrink for awhile now, magic program! I decrypt and encode with Shrink and burn with Nero, have found the results to be better than using Shrink alone. My problem is that I have been burning DVD's with different region codes. Shrink will only let you change codes 4 times (I think it is). I am up to my last change available but it is not letting me do the change. What happens once I am out of changes, is that it? No more using Shrink? Can I then only use it on the last region set?

2. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Is that your burner you're changing the region settings on or Shrink? Why wouldn't you make region-free copies of your movies?

3. syeberman

syeberman Member

Sounds like the problem is not with shrink, but with your DVD burner. Did you flash the firmware to region free?

If not you may have permanently set your burner bios to the last region selected ..... Let's hope it's the region you live in. Their is a software program that is commercial that can solve this problem as a bridge, i.e it refuses to recognise the RPC code of your drive and allows you to watch any DVD from any region and or back up the DVD.

By altering the region codes with shrink and playing them back in your burner you may have set the RPC2 firmware to lock.

To check your drive region code select NERO in your start menu (Microsoft) then nero toolkit and finally NeroInfotool. Down the bottom it will tell you about your DVD drive.

Jon

4. Saselven

Saselven Guest

syeberman, I think you are on the right track. Shrink tells me that the dvd I have in does not match the burner region. Why would it ask me this in the first place? Is it because I am burning both region 1 and 4? I have not flashed the firmware to region free, because I have no idea how to... Have not thought to update firmware as the burner is only new, had a hell of a time trying to find firmware for the previous burner.
    It says I have (1) time left to change the region, at the moment it is set on region 1....grrrrr... Do you think if I update the firmware I will overcome this?

Thanks for your comments ashroy01

Sas.

5. Saselven

Saselven Guest

syeberman, the bridging program you were referring to is called. DVD region+css free...thanks for the tip, it works a treat.

Sas.

6. syeberman

syeberman Member

Sas if you have one region code change left you should be o.k. flashing your drive. Flashing (RPC1)voids your warranty,just in case you have a problem with the drive. Most of the time it is a very easy process and many flashes can be done directly in your o/s these days, just follow the instructions that the author provides. Make sure you get the latest upgrade to your firmware e.g.. a302 is older than say a305 so use the latest

I flash all my drives region free because I own movies that I have bought while in different countries and I don't see why I should be forced to buy drives for each region. I usually get mine from rpc1.org.

If you are stuck you may see an advertisement on the site I mentioned for software that can bridge a locked drive.

Once done tick region free in shrink for your backups an in preferences, File I/O make sure "check RPC2 region code...." is NOT ticked.

Hope this helps.

Jon

PS: hehe we posted @ the same time. Good to hear you fixed your problem.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005