1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region???? need help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by angel1, Dec 6, 2003.

1. angel1

angel1 Guest

Ok > I just don't understand this region business! i started decrypter and it says region not found???? what can i do? how can i change it... i realised that there are a couple of options in the dvd decrypter such as Region free, 1, 2, and so on... how do i know which one it is? i'm in australia and the dvd i want to decrypt is the mummy....

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I also noticed that my hard-drive has these settings (region) do i need to change anything there? at the moment its set on Region 2. Decrypter - i haven't set a region yet cause i don't know which one it is. Oh and by the way, i'm running WindowsXP so i have seen alot of threads regarding the ASPI Driver.... do i need this? cause i had a look but i don't have it.... will this make any difference?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Angel1, I would set Decrpter to region free and leave the drives alone or set them to region 2. (your region) You are only allowed a limited number of changes (5?). I think you want any region settings set to the region you live in. All my drives are set to region 1 and I have not had to change them. Someone else can probably help you out more than me on these subjects, though. (I would still just use Shrink 3.0b5 it should be able to take care of region problems though, without Decrpter.)You may also want to download CloneDVD and AnyDVD free trials. AnyDVD sits in the background decrypting (and making things region free) while CloneDVD does the rest. For ASPI drivers try this: http://download.com.com/3000-2098-10219041.html

Good luck,
    Frank _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  3. angel1

angel1 Guest

Fasfrank > i try not to rip using shrinker cause i've been told that eventually it burns your dvd drive.....

Regarding the region,,, yes my region is set to 2 and when i run decrypter i set it to 'region free' > i can play the movie but it just won't let me decrypt the whole movie. I've also been told that there is a hacked software that overides this region stuff..... if you know of any please advise.

Also why does decrypter take sooooo long? every time i select 'main movie' and then use shrink i get an error message, but if i decrypt the whole movie which takes approx 60 min than shrinker recognises it.... my settings are probably wrong!..... does it normally take this long? why can't i just select main movie and then work it in shrinker?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Angel1,
    DVD Shrink won't harm your drive, as files are read from your disc they are placed in a read buffer in your burner Shrink does not see them untill they leave the buffer. Your burner will not read any faster than its designed to, so no worrys there.
    I've tried to use Decrypter and Shrink together but could never see any benefit, Shrink both decrypts and compresses. I find that these programs don't work together very well in some cases also.
    Can you tell me in what mode you have Decrypter set? Also, where are you putting your video files? Make sure you have a target folder on your hard drive called VIDEO_TS (all caps) You can go into Windows explorer and make a new folder with that name.
    What is the brand of your DVD drive, it sounds like it is reading at about 2X.
    Did you go here and read these guides? http://dvdshrink.info/
    DVD Shrink3.0 beta 5 is an improved version and has the ability to overcome RCE protection,its free!
    Heres what I would do.
    1. Make the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive.
    2. Delete any left over video files on the hard drive.
    3. Get a different source disc to copy!
    4. Put the disc in the drive and then open DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5 (close any media player that might try and open).
    5. Click the "open disc" icon, select the drive that your movie is in.
    6. Shrink will now take a minute or two to analyze the movie.
    7. Use the guide and remove any features that are not needed.
    8. At this point I would suggest you keep only the main title, all the english audio and none of the sub-titles. With this version of Shrink a higher compression number is better. You may have to remove some audio to get a number greater than 65% or so.
    9. Your done, so click the backup icon, and select your VIDEO_TS folder using the target folder browser then click OK. Shrink will now do its thing!
    when Shrink is finished you will have video files neatly tucked away in your VIDEO_TS folder waiting to be burned.
    I recommend Nero 6 Burning ROM (because I use it hehe)
    Use the guides, print them out and follow them step by step!http://dvdshrink.info/
    Angel, feel free to make long detailed posts, the more information the better! :D
    Good luck,
    Frank

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi all, I don't know precisely how Shrink works, it probably controls the disc drive speed somehow but it can't empty the buffer faster than the burner speed fills it. I also don't think that data compressed by Shrink would be harmful to the burner during the writing process. I may be wrong, it's happened before!

6. angel1

angel1 Guest

You are soooo not going to believe what i've been doing on a Sunday for the past 13 hours! i've been re-installing my windows XP because since i installed the new Sony DRU510AK it as been really really slow,,,, so now i'm downloading all xp updates.

Anyways, ahhh so Shrinker doesn't burn my dvd rom.... thats good then i'm going to try and use it to decrypt... except like i said,,,, are you sure there isn't some other kinda of software that hacks the region????

And yes i also have the latest Nero~! its fantastic, even though i'm new at it.... ;-) so i'm glad you are using it cause i'm sure i'll b posting many many threads. hehe

Anyways, i'm going to give shrinker a go~ by any chance do u know how long it would normally take to decrypt???? oh and by the way my sony writes up to 4x and also at 2x but for some reason in nero it only allows me to burn at 2.4x???? whats the go with that - is there some way i can overide this? it may save me a couple of minutes if i could write at 4x.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi angel1, Shrink 3.0b5 should solve your region issue.
    Your DVD read speed is more of a system issue than your drive.
    The burn speed is probably 2.4X because you are using media designed for that speed.
    What is your processor type and speed?
    How much room do you have on your hard drive.
    What type and brand of media are you using?
    Frank :)

8. angel1

angel1 Guest

Ok got the region stuff fixed! except i'm still having problems with decrypter and shrinker! if i use decrypter and select main files, shrinker doesn't seem to like it cause it can't find the main movie file - only shows the vob's... not to mention that it takes me approx 45 min to decrypt! on just selecting main files and or all files using File mode. I have no idea what or how to use the ISO and IFO modes.... so i'm kinda lost! Now i've also downloaded shrinker 3.0 beta and i have the same probl, when i say open file it takes approximately 45 min! when i bought this dvd player i thought that ripping & burning dvd's was going to be a quick thing! at least 20 min or so! but this is just beyond the joke! i just can't believe i am ripping at 45 min and burning at approx 25 to 30 > and yes i think i'm using crappy media... the dvd i'm trying to rip is 6.8Gb dual layer.... but still come' on it can't take this long! > the media i've got is 'Laser DVDRW+' i'm guessing you never heard of it! but hey, i bought this so i could practice otherwise i will end up with coasters everywhere.... once i get the hang of shrinker & decrypter i will start buying good media. >>> oh and i someone could explain in simple terms how to use both of these programs i would really really appreciate it... i have alread had a look at some helpful sites for decrypter and shrinker but i still don't understand.... call me a dummy! but hey i;m new to this stuff..... sorry.

your help would be much appreciated.! please!!!!

9. angel1

angel1 Guest

oh and by the way - i read somewhere that apparently win xp has an option that says record cd and this should be turned off....???? if you could shed some light that would be great.... i'm also trying to learn Nero 6 > it looks like a pretty good program but like everything else - its just going to take sometime.....

10. koola

koola Guest

Hi angel1, to turn off WinXP CD Burning, do this:

1. Goto My Computer, right click on your CD and/or DVD drive and select Properties.
    2. Click on the Recording tab, then de-select the Enable CD Recording.
    3. Done!

Also, CloneDVD and AnyDVD might be better for you to use as these are very powerful tools which are very easy to use, and I mean easier than DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink.

Good luck :D

11. angel1

angel1 Guest

Thanx Koola but i disabled CD Recording on WinXP but how does this benefit me? sorry about the dumb-arse question,,,,, but its all new 2 me. Oh and i'm about to download those 2 programs and give them a go. I'll keep you posted and tell u if it all works.

Does it normally take 40 - 50 min to decrypt/rip the movie? I don't mind burning at 2.4 which only takes approx 20 min or so...

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi angel1,
    I'm not sure why you are using Shrink and Decrypter together. You only need to use DVD shrink. Very rarely would you need to use these two together.

Decrypter works great on DVDs that are small enough to fit on your blank media without compression (DVD5).

Are you using Decrypter to burn your video files to your disc?

Koola's suggestion to use AnyDVD and Clone DVD is excellent, I would urge you to try them.

If You can burn a copy of your movie in an hour or so you should be happy, once you have a few DVDs burned you can start to figure out how to speed things up. It takes me 10 or 15 minutes to get the disc in Shrink and re-authored, about 20 minutes to get the files onto my hard drive and about 14 minutes to burn the movie to my blank media. Around an hour by the time I am done making the label.

I was very happy the day I could rip and burn a movie in less time than it takes to watch it

Good luck,
    Frank

13. angel1

angel1 Guest

ok so i've taken da day of work today (chucked a sickie!) and trying to figure all this stuff out! i took your advise and downloaded 'AnyDVD except when i open it it doesn't do anything just shows me the configurations.

& now i've stopped using dvd decrypter and tried it with shrink but even when i select just the movie > it still takes 40 to 50 minutes to rip and encode. Then i do all the burning with Nero.

Any idea on how to use Anydvd? oh and by the wya its a trial one,,,, you have to buy this product.! :-(

14. angel1

angel1 Guest

also by disabling the winxp recording - what is the benefit????

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Angel1,
    AnyDVD is kinda different let me see if I remember...Download AnyDVD unzip the file, I think it is then installed but anyhow..... Do you have the desktop icon? If yes click on it and then when the AnyDVD window opens, click on continue with trial. You should then see the little red fox icon appear in the lower right of your desktop. If you see that, that is all you need! AnyDVD is up and running in the background until you right click on the icon at the lower right, open the small window then you can disable it. When AnyDVD is running in the background anything that you put in you drive will be automatically decrypted.

If you are burning RW media that has not been recorded on 2.4X is typical. If it has been recorded on and you using it again, 1X is typical. I burn at 4X using Memorex +R 4X media.

Frank :D

16. angel1

angel1 Guest

i am again trying out shrink 5 beta,,,,, ok as soon as i put the dvd in - i click on open disc i select the dvd drive and it takes 2 min to analyze. does this mean decrypt???? anyways, i go into reauthor and only grab the movie folder which is title one and has the 3gb. then i click on backup and its estimated time is 45 min! on the preview panel it shows me that it is encoding..... pls explain to me as to how this process works. As soon as it opens dvd and takes the 2min (is this decrypting)? or ripping? whatabout encoding does this mean its ripping to hdd or shrinking? jeeeesss i jst can't believe it only takes u 15 min to do this >>> theres not many options in shrinker to allow me to change the timing and stuff. on the previous panel it says decryption status: Not encrypted and its buffering at 40 MB,,, time now remaining 37min (and the total file size was only about 3gb and reauthored at 50% (i'm sooooo doing something wrong here!

17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi angel1,
    I just did Swordfish, using the same program. The first thing Shrink does is analyze the movie which tells Shrink about the decryption, required compression, and any region protection. After that, The program options become avalible. In the case of Swordfish the overall compression was 60% for the entire movie so I just decided to remove some audio and subtitles, and not use the re-author feature. I also applied a little bit more compression to the menus and extras by selecting them and using "ratio". My compression was now 78%. I then selected "back-up"( this is the ripping part! :D ). Total time to back up was 24-25 minutes. I used Nero 6 Burning ROM to burn the movie, it took 14 minutes at 4X.
    It does not sound like anything is going wrong. The buffering screen said not encrypted because your movie is not encrypted or... AnyDVD is running in the background, decrypting the movie before Shrink can!!
    As far as ripping time goes, have you tried altering your start-up menu so as few things as possible are running while your rip is taking place?

Frank

18. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

angel1, how fast is you computer and how much memory do you have? I takes me between 30 min and an hour to rip the movie to my harddrive (depending on amount of compression).

19. angel1

angel1 Guest

ok my hdd is 40GB i have 37.2GB free space, i'm running 512MB RAM and 1.8gHz.

umm, i've tried to rip 'the mummy returns' but it stillt takes 45 min,,,, and mind you i only selected the main movie > no subtitles and only picked the english audio.....

i disabled my winxp recording thought i don't know how much different this would make. and no i'm not running any other programs - i'm running a LAN so i access my internet and do my browsing on my laptop whilst shrink is ripping. i want to be able to master my ripping & shrinking by at least 15 to 20 min! is that possible.?

20. malum

malum Regular member

If you are ripping using the DVD writer then it will be locked by the firmware to rip at 2x maximum.
    Either use a DVD ROM to rip or use hacked firmware for the writer.
    No amount of fiddling is going to get you a faster rip than 2x otherwise.