1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region???? need help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by angel1, Dec 6, 2003.

1. angel1

angel1 Guest

at the moment i only have 1 dvd+RW which i'm using to trial all my burning.... tomorrow i'm on a mission to go and purchase the best media around. the current media i have only burns at 2.4 so i want one that writes at 4x.... any suggestions as to what type of media i should purchase for my Sony DRU510A? >>> i've been told that it won't take any crappy media.

Oh and by the way, when u r decrypting it only decrypts to the hdd and doesn't actually decrypt the original dvd right? sorry about these dumb questions.

But your responses are really helping me with all of this.

2. angel1

angel1 Guest

why would it be locked at 2 if the dvd rom i bought reads at 2x and 4x.... its a sony dru510a

3. malum

malum Regular member

Most DVD writers are locked at 2x for ripping encrypted movies due to an agreement between the makers of the drives and the hollywood studios.
    You can get hacked firmware if you want to rip faster or you can get an unrestricted DVD ROM drive

"Oh and by the way, when u r decrypting it only decrypts to the hdd and doesn't actually decrypt the original dvd right?"

If you are asking if it alters the original DVD the answer is No. It's not a writable DVD there is no way of altering it, unless you take a craft knife to it of course.

4. angel1

angel1 Guest

i've been told that you have to be very very careful with firmware, and since my dvd rom is new i really don't want to stuff around with it. So then i'm guessing that if it rips at approx 45 - 50min than thats kinda standard right? and i can burn on nero at approx 30 min or so but i think thats because the dvd+rw i have is only 2.4x > tomorrow i'm going to buy some media and will get the dvd-RW 4x.... i think this will burn faster.

you're not going to believe this but cause i got this dvdrom a couple of days ago, i have only tried to learn how to burn dvd's and havent' got a clue on how to burn cds!!!! hehe well dvd was my main priority... also if i have a 7GB dual layer dvd and currently burning on dvd which holds 4.7GB > after shrinking and stuff is it possible to burn it onto 2 cd's??? its jsut a thought.....

and what is it with these iso / ifo files why does nero ask if i want to burn these? what are they?

5. malum

malum Regular member

I'm not advocating the firmware approach (especially if you don't know what you are doing) just pointing out that such an option exists.

The rest of your questions have been answered on this forum many times before.

There are guides all over the forum (at the top of the various threads as stickies) that you should read

6. angel1

angel1 Guest

Thanx Malum for all your help - its nice to see ppl in these forums helping us newbies.....

I must admit this is one of the best forums i've come across. and you never know if i get the hang of this then i can give some advice in the future to others.

Once again thanx a mil. :)

7. malum

malum Regular member

www.vcdhelp.com

has many articles to help you do all sorts of things.
    It goes beyond the basics if you are intersted

If you get really serious you might want to check out www.doom9.org