1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region problems?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rachbaby, Feb 12, 2007.

1. rachbaby

rachbaby Member

I used DVD Shrink to make a backup of one of my movies. I specified the region as USA/Canada (I live in Canada), but when I went to play it back on my dvd player it said the disc was not formatted to play in this region. Any suggestions?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Is DVD Shrink configured to make the backup region free? Click the DVD Region tab after clicking the Backup! button. Region Free should be checked.

Did you rip directly from the DVD? Were you using AnyDVD or CSS+RegionFree when ripping?

Can you play the backup on your PC?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Is this your first backup or have you made any other backups before?

Are your drives/players and originals region 1?

What's the brand name,format,and speed rate of your blank media?

What's the brand name and model # of your dvd-rw drive?

What programs you using and what are you backing up?

Make sure the dvd-rw drive that burned that backup,can play it using your pc. Gotta verify that the burner can play it's own backups.

After that,stand alone compatability comes in.

Some stand alone players give different messages when it comes to a compatability issue when playing our dvd backups.It means it doesn't recognize that disc.They can have trouble with the plus,dash,both formats,or no trouble with any of them. Same goes for R,RW,and RDL media of either format.

Majority of stand alone players will say No disc.Other drives may say Dirty disc,Illegal disc,Wrong format,and wrong region.

My lil bro's sherwood player gives a wrong region error,and it's a compatability issue with the dash format. That sherwood player will play all my plus format media after booktyping them to dvd-rom.

Use dvd shrink at leave the region setting at 0,which would be region free. If you still get that same message on that player,switch to the opposite format.Make sure you're using quality media like Taiyo yuden or verbatim. Low quality media can give that same error message,as well as certain MID coded media. All discs have a code. Most brand name media uses many different manufacturers for their media. Take Maxell. Hitachi,Ritek,Cmags,and ty make up their manufacturers,so you'll have 4 different MID codes on the same Maxell =4x yellowtop.You may be using hitachi maxells and next spindle turned out as cmags.Huge media quality difference and some stand alone players can tell a difference. HP,Phillips,TDK,Fuji,Memorex-all do the same thing.

Depending on your burner,some have bitsetting capability to booktype.This so called booktyping sets the plus format media and makes drives recognize them as dvd-rom format,the most universal of all dvd formats. It tricks players into playing backup discs. This usually fixes that stand alone player compatability issue.

There's other possibilities as well: Software,Burn speed,Backup target too large,dirty laser lens in the player at fault,paper/sticker labels-major no-no.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The picture below says it all, or at least most of it. ;)

---------------------------------

[​IMG]

5. rachbaby

rachbaby Member

I tried that and it still said it wasn't formatted to play in this region. (I'm using a Diamond Vision Divx player, if that makes a difference.) It did play back on my pc, but the audio wasn't matching up with the video.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What is the source of the "movie" and what is the title? Sounds like you've got a problem besides Shrink. When you have that Region Free box checked it makes it Region Free unless you altered the setting in another program.