1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstall Vista without hp recovery partition

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cbigganz, Oct 14, 2007.

1. cbigganz

cbigganz Member

Hey guys,

just having some trouble trying to reinstall Vista because I had formated the hard drive and deleted the hp recovery partition as well. Is there any way to reinstall vista on my Presario V6210CA with my current install key off another cd or do I need to buy another copy of vista?

Thanks for the help :D

2. wiz569

wiz569 Regular member

Your key should be on a sticker at the back or top of your comp.

3. cbigganz

cbigganz Member

i have the key but i dont have the partition vista was on because i formated the hard drive. the restore cds provided need that partition so i cant reinstall vista :p

4. cbigganz

cbigganz Member

5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I had that same thought before I said "hasta la Vista!"... I've put Linux on there and haven't looked back, took like 1.5 hours to install and boot Vista for the first time, and then ran like a dog. But just to check I could *maybe* undo any damage I do, I did notice when I tried using my backup discs that it only said installing to partition 2, so you might be able to try making a dummy partition 1... I forget what filesystem type it was, but I don't *think* it was NTFS. I'm curious as to your results, be sure to post them for me!

6. cbigganz

cbigganz Member

I bought the laptop used so I dont have the recovery disks so i gotta fork out some dough to get them. I'm not sure i wanna get them if there's no garentee its gonna work so I might just throw linux on it like you have. Got redhat for a server in the basement so i might throw that on here. :p

thanks for the replys

7. OzMick

OzMick Guest

If you really want Windows back, you might be able to ask where you got it if they can restore it for you? Just overwrite the partition table a few times and act real dumb. If you're in your warranty period they might do something for free for you.

It sounds like your laptop should be supported under Linux, I found someone saying that HP supplies it preinstalled with Mandriva, so maybe you might be able to find a copy of that install disc on the net? The HP support site doesn't list it as being a supplied OS though, so may be out of luck.

The parts do look fairly standard though, so you shouldn't have too much grief. You will probably need to use ndiswrapper to get the wlan installed though, and be prepared to google for anything else like the webcam etc. The modem could be a flip of the coin (though with broadband becoming more and more common, modems are fast becoming obsolete), and the card reader may need some modules loaded if it isn't identified as being a USB device.

Good luck

8. cbigganz

cbigganz Member

:D thanks a lot for the help. We'll see how it goes.