1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalled Nero 7, now smart encoding is broke.

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by RLyon, Mar 1, 2007.

1. RLyon

RLyon Member

Hi,

I've Been using Nero 7 since it came out. I've been using the latest version since it was released without problems -- until now.

I got a new PC and installed Nero from scratch (latest version, same one I used on the old PC).

I use Nerovision to edit commercials out of programs I record with my set-top DVD burner. Until now, Nerovision would burn the edited videos in a few minutes and no loss of quality because of smart encoding.

But now, I get 100% smart encoding on audio but 0% on video. Even if I was willing to waste hours recoding every video, I won't accept the loss of quality.

To make sure there wasn't some hardware issue, I reinstalled Nero 7 on my old PC which had just been wiped clean and a new XP pro installed. FWIW, the old PC also got a different video card (Nvidia 5900). Same problem: Nerovision will NOT smart encode the video.

All settings are identical from when it worked until now.

When it was working, Nerovision would take a few minutes to read imported DVDs and immediately following that would announce it was analyzing the file. The analyze box is no longer showing and I suspect that is the cause of the problem.

A note: when I installed Nero 7 on the new PC (and reinstalled it on the old PC to confirm the problem) I did NOT install the products I never used in the past. All that was installed were: Burning Rom, Nerovision, Recode, Showtime and the tools. I guess its POSSIBLE that Nero install is f'ed up and messes up Nerovision if something else is omitted.

Any ideas?

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Could you run a test of something to see if it has any effect? Someone the other day said if they edited a recorded Video that it would take a great deal longer to burn. The thought was somehow the DRM situation was causing something about the video to change and making more problems for encoding.

Could you try burning the same video, unedited this time, and see how long it takes or if you see the same problems you see now? Since the files the other day were captured on a computer, you may have a totally different situation, but Nero was just updated to work with Vista, and Vista is big into the DRM stuff. I was thinking possibly it is also effecting WinXP media files.

Do you know what type of files you are recording?

3. RLyon

RLyon Member

I've only used Nero on WinXP Pro. No DRM issues since I'm importing DVDs I made myself on my set-top box and the box hasn't changed and neither has the version/level of Nero or Windows.

Yes, I had already tried not editing the video and the results are the same. And I reprocessed a DVD that I made before that resulted in 100% smart encoding and now it gives me 0%.

The only thing that makes any sense (assuming a video card change wouldn't cause this) is that some software Nerovision needs (codec, etc.) isn't on the new PC. I am almost positive the fact that there is no window and progress bar anymore for analyzing the file after it is imported is the cause. But why won't Nerovision analyze the files anymore? If nobody has a fix, I'll reinstall Nero with all the crap I never use (since that was what I did on the old PC when it was working) and see if that fixes it. I just pray that Nero didn't remove something in a previous update that my old PC still had around from an earlier install. I'd hate to have to install the original then every update one at a time. LOL