1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by stutz10k, Mar 12, 2007.

1. stutz10k

stutz10k Guest

I had to do a reinstall becuase every kind of fix I tried did not work. Anyways, all of my data is still on my pc as well as every program that I did have installed before. Some of them work and some of them dont(none are in the start menu of course). Should I just delete all of the programs out of the programs folder and reinstall, or is there some other tricks I can use? Thanks

2. onya

onya Guest

It may be a good time saver to uninstall the non-functioning programs. Use windows uninstaller in control panel, then run a reg cleaner such as CrapCleaner in ISSUES mode. Restart your rig and then do the reinstall thing.

Crapcleaner is freeware and is available HERE. The cleaner will ask you to backup the reg files, so click the ok button, and it will save the changes within the cleaner.

3. stutz10k

stutz10k Guest

When I go to add/remove programs the only programs that are eligible are the new ones that I have JUST added to the system. None of the old ones are there. What do you mean by windows uninstaller? Thanks for your help

4. onya

onya Guest

I wasn't sure if you were deleting files manually or were using add/remove(windows uninstaller). Having said this, you may have to look in the "program files" folder after uninstalling, to make sure all files and folders have been deleted. Often some folders are left behind. (this can be done manually)

5. stutz10k

stutz10k Guest

Yeah I will have to do it manually. But I figure it wont do any harm since they are just essentially files laying there and are not associated with windows anymore. I am just happy that all my data was not lost. Thanks

6. 56delray

56delray Regular member

You should run a registry cleaner afterwards.

7. stutz10k

stutz10k Guest

For some reason my netgear MR814v2 wireless router will not show up in the SSID field for my Netgear MA111 to pick up. I have disabled having windows automatically detect a wireless network and am using netgears stuff instead since it worked in the past. How come I cannot even connect to my own router? Any thoughts