1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliable hi-speed (8x-16x) media question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by vike, Apr 4, 2005.

1. vike

vike Member

I've been using my trusty Pioneer DVR-106D DVD+/- r/rw
    burner for almost 2 years now and I love it. That being said, it burns at 4x and I am thinking about getting a 16x burner to replace. I've been reading in some of the forums that it is unreliable to burn at high speeds even if the media is rated for it. Is any media available that can burn reliably at 8x? How about 16x? I usually buy TY, is that still a good brand at these higher speeds? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The quality and reliability of DVD media is far behind what the drive makers are willing to admit when it comes to burn speeds. There are certainly media that can burn reliably at 8X but I wouldn't waste my time with anything faster. The best way to find out which media will burn best at 8X in your setup is to simply try as many brands as you want and see which one gives the best results. Good ones to start off with would be Verbatim Metal AZO or Taiyo Yuden.

I'm sure someone will eventually pop in here saying that they burn at 16X all day long with 100% compatibility but I'd personally be extremely skeptical of it.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I believe if you have the quality media-and you do- as well as a quality 16x burner, then 8x burning should be no trouble at all.I'm like neph, in using taiyo yuden and verbatim +8x media life plus with the metal azo dye and have done a few at 12x when I left my burn settings set at max.

I still stick with the reliable/safe+steady 4x speed for the overall playability in my stand alones and other pc drives.8x is no trouble when I do burn the good stuff that fast.

A lot of this 8x media is able to be burned at 12x and 16x on both my benq's.So I have no need to try 16x media.

It all comes down to overall quality.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Good Luck vike.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Dito and Dito to both wise gentlemen above me :)

5. vike

vike Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to pick a new one up this weekend, probably from Newegg after I do my research.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No problemo vike. Newegg is where I got my last benq. A great place and excellent prices. Good Luck.

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

since you seem to be a fan of the pioneer line, you stated you had the dvr-106 for 2 years with very little to no problems, (that's just what i assume since you said you LOVE IT). i believe newegg has the pioneer dvr-109 for a good price (low to mid $60 range) last time i checked. this is the drive i currently use and in response to your initial 8x-16x question, like neph and saugmon, i too use verbatim MCC003 coded media and naturally a BIG fan of Taiyo Yuden media all coded TYGO1 or TYGO2, with a few YUDEN codes in there from my fuji's in there too. i've personally had very good results with this pioneer drive and can even burn my 4x TYGO1s at 8x or higher (i did this to test out the quality of the media, but i keep my burning at a consistent 4x for movies). just thought i'd let ya know...good luck

8. joniliff

joniliff Member

Just thought I'd mention, in passing...got an ad from Dvd-rwMedia.com advertising Verbatim 16X for $0.26 ea. Offer good until 4/18/05...sounds good!

John

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yeah i had my pioneer 106D at least 2 years now... and i love it and was thinking on a 109, but to be honest there isnt much gain 4x is good for me!

my drive too has hacked firmware for region free and 2xburn for 1x and 12x rip etc...

where the 109 is coming a problem on firmwares as the insides of the drives are tottally different (maybe done on purpose?) and the firmwares are diferent to! so dont guide your buying a 109 on the last 104/5/6/7/8 pioneers, 109 is the start of a new drive!

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ rotary

that makes complete sense to me, i just thought for someone who has benefitted from a product made by Pioneer, that they would already have a liking towards a companies' particular build quality and reliability. i know the 109 has completely different "guts" than the previous line of drives, but i was mearly stating that is what i currently use and the build quality is equal to that of past pioneer drives that a lot of people have used for years with little or no problems. as for firmware, i dabble a bit on the hacked ones, but, with the 109, the fw i use is official :)

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes pioneer has been a beast! if it died i would go for latest more than likly a 109, BUT!!! i have been looking into plextor with fast rip times and even liteon for the price and what the great drive and do!

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

can't say i've had much experience with Plextor, but, from all the reviews and other opinions from members on here; i guess the Plextor would be an excellent choice too. i've actually seen the newest one, internal plextor, a16 or something like that full retail version on sale at my local best buy for $99 (BEFORE THE REBATE~), which i think would be a good price...but, since i'm sitting on like 4 other dvd burners right now, until i have another die on me, i'll think about getting a plextor later~ hehe. have a good one.

13. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

I have a nec 3520a burner and have been burning taiyo yudens, both 4x and 8x. 4x discs burn at max of 8x and 8x discs burn at max of 12x. I have burnt both at max speed and they playback fine so far. I don't really like to go over 8x though usually, but so far no probs.

14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

My Plextor 716a has good luck burning DVD's above rated speed when the disc allows it. TY 8x can be burned anywhere from 12 to 16x. Some other manufacturers can be burned 8x up to 12x. I've even had 4x discs go up to 8x. The secret is to keep your hard drive defragged. Anything over about 10% is too much for high speed DVD burning. Data? Burn as fast as you want but don't try burning movie discs over 4x unless you want possible playback problems. Thats my experience anyway...

15. vike

vike Member

Got the Pioneer 109 from Newegg, glad I bought it. Did some test burns on Sunday, and my TY 8x media seems to burn reliably at 12x, but a 2 disc sample isn't enough to base an opinion on. Time will tell, but so far, so good. Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.