1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove a bit setter from my DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jacnad, Apr 15, 2007.

1. jacnad

jacnad Guest

Hello can any one tell me how to do the above. this was placed on the drive inadvertently using Nero Cd DVD speed,
    Thank you
    Jack Stoddart

2. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Open up Nero CD-DVD Speed and click on "Extras" then under that click on "bitsetting". Then Change DVD+R from DVD-ROM back to DVD+R.
    Ditto for DVD+RW and DVD+DL.....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. JVC

JVC Active member

Why do you not want to bitset (booktype) your +R discs, to DVD Rom?

4. jacnad

jacnad Guest

5. jacnad

jacnad Guest

Having opened up Nero CD-DVD Speed all is grayed out, so should I insert a blank disc and if so will it be a DVD-R or a DVD+R.
    The reason for wanting to remove the bit setting.......I have a friend who has a Toshiba DVD player that is supposed to play Both DVD +and DVD- However with the bit setter on my drive discs I send him will not play. I am assuming therefore that it is my drive that that is causing the trouble. the drive is a I/O Magic internal DVD+DVD-.
    Many thanks for your help
    Jack Stoddart (A really silver surfer)

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

send your buddy copies made on dvd-r's. bitsetting only works on dvd+r media and will not effect dvd-r media in any way.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The process is mostly for compatibility. Data is added to the +R disc so the player reading it sees a DVD ROM. Since DVD ROM is the universal player format, the booktyped discs should be compatible to all DVD ROM drives. I've heard some people say that +R DL plays better when booktyped.

8. jacnad

jacnad Guest

I did understand that applying bit setting to a DVD+disc enabled it to play as a DVD Rom.
    I have tried Using Datawrite Discs DVD +R with the bit setting applied but they do not play on the Toshiba. I have also used other quality blank discs both +and - DVDR
    and they do not play either. So from what I am reading I would have to keep trying with different types of blanl media untill I find discs that will work.
    The Toshiba in question is model No. SD42KSB and is a theatre sound unit with radio built in.
    Does anybody know just what blank media will play on this machine?
    Thank You
    Jack Stoddart

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If burning for a particular player and it accepts a format but not a booktyped DVD ROM, then there's no need to go farther. Feed it what it likes. However if that is -R, there is no need to change the booktype settings. Only +R booktypes. I got a drive over a year ago, set the booktype to DVD ROM and haven't touched it since.

I was just answering what booktyping was for, not trying to change the solution to the compatibility problem. Guess that drive proves to be an exception.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jacnad,

are you positive that model number you gave is correct? There are a lot of toshiba players. 295 hits but no SD42KSB. look for yourself here. just plug in toshiba and click search.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  11. JVC

JVC Active member

PacMan777..........
    I know very well what booktyping is for. I tell people all the time, to booktype their +R discs. Read my post again. I asked, "why do you NOT want to bitset........"

If you've tried booktyping, as well as regular +R and -R discs, and none of them work, I'd say something is wrong with your friend's player. Or, it's just not compatible with homemade dvds.
    My stepfather had a player that wouldn't play any type of homemade disc. I tried several +R and -R discs. When I learned about booktyping, I booktyped one and tried it. It played flawlessly. Commercial movies (store bought) are booktyped to DVD Rom. That's why they play in almost all players.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Late night and the way you phrased the statement I misunderstood at first glance. Guess we agree, compatibility...

13. jacnad

jacnad Guest

Mort 81
    Whoops I am very sorry I have given the wrong model Number for the Toshiba player It is SD42HK SB I would be pleased to hear from anybody using this machine with blank discs.
    Thank you
    Jack Stoddart

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

video hep compatability results here. comments and reviews for that player.

Ordered by Name

1 DVD Player hits, Showing 1 to 1 DVD Players -

Click on this for more technical information.Click on this for a best price comparison.
    New comments= New comments since your last visit. New Player = New DVD Player since your last vist.
    DVD Player CDR
    CDRW DVD-R
    DVD-RW DVD+R
    DVD+RW VCD
    SVCD DivX
    XviD MP3
    WMA Price Rating
    Info Reports
    Comments
    Toshiba SD42HK CDR
    CDRW DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    SVCD
    DivX?
    XviD?
    JPG? MP3
    WMA? $150 6.6 (6.5)
    8 votes
    View 9
    reports
    (2624
    views)
    Add report
    More Features:
    Video formats:
    DivX?, XviD?
    JPG?, DVD-JPG?
    MPEGISO?, DVD-MPEGISO?
    miniDVD/cDVD?
    Audio formats:
    MP3, DVD-MP3?
    MP3 long filename, MP3 ID3 TAG?
    WMA?, DVD-WMA?

Other features:

Google this DVD Player.
    DVD Media comments for this DVD Player (click on the link to read the comments)
    1 Apple 4xDVD-R (MXL RG02....) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    Add your DVD Media comments here
    Comments
    9 comments, Showing 1 to 9 comments -

Indiana71 from Other reported February 16, 2004:
    Read features: Price: Time used: Rating:
    CDR?
    CDRW? Few DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R?
    DVD+RW?
    DVD+R DL? VCD?
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD?
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3
    WMA?
    CVD? $? N/A 4 of 10
    Comments:
    This is the Toshiba's answer to the question DVD-R works on SD-42HK? I can see the first 23 minutes of DVD-R video.

Gentile cliente,

come Lei ha potuto notare, il modello SD-63HK è compatibile con
    i DVD-R; l'SD-42HK invece non è compatibile.

Infatti è solo un caso che Lei abbia potuto visualizzare alcuni
    minuti di filmato.

Siamo spiacenti, ma al momento non è possibile neanche l'aggiornamento
    del software.

Cordiali saluti,
    Toshiba Europe GmbH
    Divisione Consumer
    13/11/2003

mark jackson from Other reported February 06, 2004:
    CDR
    CDRW? DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? Few DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3
    WMA?
    CVD? $150 N/A 7 of 10
    MP3 long filename

Comments:
    plays some dvd+r the others i get disc error does not play ritek discs. it playes the yellow datawrite discs, it also plays all dvd-r discs. never had any problems with vcd or mp3.

Russell Durrant from United Kingdom reported January 18, 2004:
    CDR
    CDRW DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R
    DVD+RW?
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3
    WMA?
    CVD? $400 N/A 8 of 10
    Comments:
    This player plays VCD as manufacturer states. It plays SVCD after a remote control hack. I have tried Maxell Data DVD-R and Imation DVD-R discs which play faultlessly. I have tried Datawrite DVD+R Disc's which also play faultlessly. As yet I have not tried DVD-RW or DVD+RW disc's but other users report it does play them. All my disc's were burnt on the Pioneer DVDR 106 burner using the following software. DVDXCopy Platinum, CDClone and 1 Click DVD Copy.

I found that when playing music burnt on CD-R and CD-RW disc's it tends to miss a fraction of the begining of a track. I have burnt 1 MP3 disc on a CD-RW disc and it played that with no problem.

It can be converted to multi-region with a software hack as reported in the hack's section on this site. I tried it and it worked fine. My SVCD remote control hack is also in that section.

The only complaint I have about this player is the sound quality when playing TV broadcasts through it, it is a bit hollow and thin. I have added a Gale active sub to the centre channel to improve this on mine.

kevin sartin from Other reported December 10, 2003:
    CDR?
    CDRW? DVD-R?
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R?
    DVD+RW?
    DVD+R DL? VCD?
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD?
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3?
    WMA?
    CVD? $? N/A No rating
    Comments:
    have tried the hacks for multi region and for svcd from this site..worked great.
    thanks for the help sorting these problems out

Steve Quinney from Other reported October 18, 2003:
    CDR
    CDRW DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3
    WMA?
    CVD? $? N/A 7 of 10
    Comments:
    Plays Memorex DVD+RW, Fuji DVD+R, Packard Bell DVD-R, no trouble. All CD-R/RW brands I've used have played fine. Not tried DVD-RW. All DVD's burnred with Videostudio 6. All CD with Media Player. Burner Optirite DVD +/-.

Charlie MacDonald from Other reported August 02, 2003:
    CDR
    CDRW DVD-R?
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R?
    DVD+RW
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3
    WMA?
    CVD? $? N/A 6 of 10
    MP3 long filename

Comments:
    Skips on CD audio & MP3 audio playback

Mac from Other reported May 01, 2003:
    CDR
    CDRW? Few DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R?
    DVD+RW?
    DVD+R DL? VCD?
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD?
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3?
    WMA?
    CVD? $350 N/A 7 of 10
    Comments:
    plays datasafe - yellow 1 speed, but this is crap disc. plays all princo 4x, fws 1x, and ritek dark ink seems to be best.

Esiuol from Other reported February 03, 2003:
    CDR
    CDRW Few DVD-R
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R?
    DVD+RW?
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD?
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3 VBR
    WMA?
    CVD? $? N/A 7 of 10
    MP3 long filename

Comments:
    Only certain DVD-R Media works in this player, Media I've had working is DVD-R Infiniti, Traxdata, gogo.

Barnaby Hapgood from Other reported January 07, 2003:
    CDR
    CDRW DVD-R?
    DVD-RW?
    DVD-R DL? DVD+R?
    DVD+RW?
    DVD+R DL? VCD
    XVCD?
    XSVCD? SVCD
    SVCDSubs?
    SVCDTracks?
    MP3?
    WMA?
    CVD? $350 N/A 6 of 10
    Comments:
    The picture can be slightly gritty sometimes

9 comments, Showing 1 to 9 comments -

1 DVD Player hits, Showing 1 to 1 DVD Players -

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  15. jacnad

jacnad Guest

So there we are to an old timer like me it is a positive mine field one that I certainly never envisaged but all very useful information information never the less.
    Thank you all for your help, as a last resort I will get hold of some Datawrite DVD-R discs and give them a try.
    Jack Stoddart

16. jacnad

jacnad Guest

Just a thought, If I remove Nero and CDspeed from my computer will that also remove the bit setting capability or, has the drive been changed permanently.
    Jack Stoddart

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Booktyping (bitsetting) is a supported function of the drive. You turn it on and off, you don't need to remove it. If you don't turn off the booktyping when you remove Nero and CD/DVD Speed, booktyping will still be active. Why the fascination with bitsetting? It's just an added feature with some drives. Either use it or don't,

18. jacnad

jacnad Guest

Well pursuing the problem with the trouble some Toshiba I thought that DVD+R's Might play if they were not bitset, does that make sense?
    Perhaps you could tell me how to turn the feature on and b off when I am using DVD+R's
    Many thanks
    Jack Stoddart

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bitsetting (booktyping) as you know only takes place when you have the function selected and you are using DVD +R or DVD +R DL. With your burner program you select the booktype you want to use. Different software have slightly different selections to access booktyping. Below is how you access booktyping in the Nero Burning ROM in Nero 7. You select your source to be recorded and put a DVD +R or +R DL in the burner that supports booktyping (II). If you have a burner that doesn't support booktyping, when you select Options (III) the Book Type settings: in the options box (IV) will not appear.

Open Nero Burning ROM
    Select Choose Recorder icon (I)
    In the Choose Recorder window select booktyping drive (II)
    Select Options (III)
    Options section opens (IV)
    Under Book Type settings select booktyping (bitsetting) option desired.

[​IMG]

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Not all I/O Drives have bitsetting capability. The rebadges of Liteon and Benq may booktype. There's a lot of different manufacturers for 16x I/O Drives: Empa,Liteon,Benq,BTC

jacnad: Download this free program and do the following:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

1)Insert one of the plus format backups that were produced from your I/O Magic drive.

2) Open up dvdidentifier and select that I/O drive for Drive selection and drive write capabilities-in case you have more than 1 burner. Look how it recognizes your drive-brand name/model #/and firmware version to the furthest right. Post back what it says,including that firmware version.The rebadged I/O will give a generic string like 16xDVD IDE/Atapi or similar.

3) After your drive is selected and knowing what the model # and firmware version is,Click the Identify icon on the side. After it opens up,left click the clipboard icon,report back here in this thread,right click and paste it into your post so we can see if your plus format backups have actually been booktyped or if they are still set to dvd+r.

It'll look just like this,and this is booktyped:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MAXELL-002-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [Hitachi Maxell Ltd.]
    Manufacturer ID : [MAXELL]
    Media Type ID : [002]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I'm betting they are not actually booktyped,so paste in what dvdidentifier reports.