1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Ubuntu from laptop

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by dickeyjay, Aug 20, 2011.

1. dickeyjay

dickeyjay Regular member

Hello good people, of AfterDawn. My son found an old Dell Latitude PP1L laptop. It had no power cord and was dead, so after finding one for it I turned it on and its OS is something called Ubuntu. After getting in because it was a password entry, I have found its the only operating system on the laptop and I can't remove it. I have tried super boot disk, windows XP, Windows SE98 boot disk. etc....lol. my point is its for my granddaughter to play her Reader Rabbit and other learning software. Its become personal with me now I can't believe I can't remove it and install Windows....anything....lol. This is a case for the best guys in the business.....AFTERDAWN

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no Dell Latitude PP1L laptop listed on dell site. what is the make & model# of the laptop? check on bottom of laptop for that info.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

my knowhow suggests it's an inspiron 6000 based model with that crap 1.6 centrino processor.. my big question is why the frig would anybody expect help installing winshite in a linux forum when the ubuntu is working a treat?

4. Ryoohki

Ryoohki Member

I know this thread is a few days old but have you tried formatting the hard drive? If ubuntu (which is a GREAT linux distro and most windows apps can be ran if you installed wine so you should try that first instead of installing windows on a system with mediocre resources) is the only OS on it I doubt the partition is NTFS its probably ext3 or something which windows cannot read. I know the last time I installed windows xp pro the disc gave the option to format the partition to ntfs.

5. mtanner

mtanner Member

Why do you remove ubuntu? LINUX IS THE BEST BETTER CONTACT TO ME

6. e151280

e151280 Member

You can install an older Microsoft windows OS on it (Win 98, Win ME or Win XP), but as I remember, formatting the hard disk, and installing Windows on it isn't the only step. I was stuck, after installing Windows, when I reformatted a Linux hard drive, and Windows wouldn't boot. Turns out that I needed to issue a ' FDISK /MBR ' command to wipe out the "Linux Master Boot Record", and install the "Windows Master Boot Record".

I seem to recall scratching my head for a few days on that issue, some years ago.

"What's the difference between Roast Beef, and Pea Soup?"
    "Damn near anyone can roast beef."

This message has been brought to you by the language C and the number F.

"Sent from my totally illegitimate Mac Pro - Hackintosh PC, built with a Quad Core-Hyper-Threaded 3.2Ghz Intel Core i7-960, with 12 GB 1333 DDR3, 750 GB hdd, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, on a Gigabyte X58-USB3 system board, running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3!!!"

"Give My Creation LIFE!! Bwaaaa ha haa haaa haaaaaa!!!"
    " .....I'm not a MAD scientist... I'm just slightly annoyed..... "

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  7. keebles

keebles Regular member

Download and burn UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD). Then launch copy wipe(program on the disc).It will allow you to format any drive no mater what OS is installed on it. It will even remove encrypted OS images off of it.