1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing gigs of duplicate files on my HDD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Wyattspop, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Kids,
    So I use a 1 TB external to back up my desktop with all my priceless family photos etc, I began this before I knew anything about PC's, so I would just drag/drop the contents of my "My Documents" folder before my PC took a dive. Basically I have gone through 4 PC's since, and probably 95% of the stuff I copied over 4 times is duplicate files (the same 30 gigs of family photos). What is the best duplicate file detector my friends?
    Thanks

2. Marcial33

Marcial33 Newbie

As you must have a lot of pictures (1 TB), I recommend you Duplicate Media Finder because it is very fast and very good.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If they all have the same name then use teracopy v3 it will give options to overwrite files not of same size or some other such options

If the files are named the same 123456 but have something like this 123456(1) or some other such thing , i use rename master portable to remove (1) then proceed to copy the lot to the folder where duplicates are held then let teracopy overwrite files that are smaller

other option is web search there's plenty of articles on duplicate file issues

4. pounder

pounder Member

love_The Baseball Furries, The one I use is Hardwipe.com, fee involved, but you can use whatever cleaning format
    comfortable with, even, one write, so data can be retreived, or Gutman, which writes Drive 35 times, no retreival possible, I use this after burning DVD's, to clean unneeded space up!

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

What the hell you going on about & why is it relevant