1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing mod chip...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by neosquall, Apr 30, 2004.

1. neosquall

neosquall Guest

I have this old chip called the nova 2...I got the hdd for ps2 and now its useless...so yea i wanna remove it. Ive opened my ps2 and seen where its at...Do I just cut the wires and take the chip out? do i also remove the wires after i take the chip out?

2. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

You can cut the wires at the base of the solder point (dont let anything move freely or your PS2 could short). But the better, more professional way is to use desoldering braid to take off the solder. From the sound of it you didn't install the chip yourself and probably don't have a soldering iron let alone braid, so in my opinion you should just cut the wires as close to the solder points as you can. If it's not interfering with anything I'd just leave it alone, you can never be 100% that it will work when you're done uninstalling. If you're planning on installing a new chip then that's another story.

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

to remove either cut the wires from the ps2... or desolder them off... either way is fine... remove the connections from the ps2 then remove the chip itself.. you can use them small scissors for cutting finger or tow nails with.... to cut the wires..

4. neosquall

neosquall Guest

ok thanks. yea i didnt install the chip myself. im just gonna remove it then get a fliptop cover.

5. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

whaoo why would u take out a chip to get a fliptop!?

6. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

seriously, are you crazy?!?!

7. neosquall

neosquall Guest

the chip is useless because i have the HDD... the HDD disables the chip.

8. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

dude!! the chip dont have a sleep feature does it?.. cuz if it does you can just put it to sleep then use the hdd lol...

9. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

you are obviously serious about gaming - so much that you bought the hard drive. That being said - why would you waste your time and money using a flip-top?

Consider a DMS3 instead - well worth the money - pay a pro to take out the old chip and put in a DMS3.

Good luck!

10. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Hear Hear!

brad1102: 007 EoN in your sig, great game, do you play online?

11. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I do not play online. I am considering buying a network adapter, once I am confident that I can patch my backups for online play.

Any opinions?

12. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Trust me, if you're not getting it cuz you're iffy on wheter patching will work, then get it. It's easier than burning. PM me if you need help. 007 online is fun but there are usually not many people on.

13. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I have been holding out on the online gaming until I'm sure I can get away with it.

I have a large selection of backups (70+), but need a real indication of whether or not its feasable to go online with them.

I have the financial resources to go all the way, but need this indication,

Please provide such if you are able.

Cheers!

14. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

if you plan to play online DONT cheat like i did... they will ban you and flame your ass lol... sadly i cant play nfsu or any other game... cuz i got no netcard now it broke lol... but if i DO get one again.. ill kick you in 007 :p