1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Modchips

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Yumeno, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Yumeno

Yumeno Member

Recent firmware updates kinda scared me, so I was wondering, if I have my chip removed, will it still leave some kind of trace that would be detectable?

2. Mark187

Mark187 Regular member

Only a physical one. A store won't be able to tell but Nintendo will.

3. ninjapath

ninjapath Regular member

why removed? if it happen it happened, the worst that could happen is that they ban you from online, playing games would be fine.

4. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

Is that all? So updates wont brick your Wii?

5. Yumeno

Yumeno Member

Well, I'm really looking forward to playing Smash Brawl online, so I'm probably goingo to get it removed by december (I'm not playing online yet, my Wii ain't even connected to net)

So it's rather safe to take it out? (I live in a country without Nintendo authorized maintenance, so physical traces couldn't mean less to me)

6. Mark187

Mark187 Regular member

You're being way too paranoid. Updates won't brick your Wii and Nintendo are very unlikely to be able to detect and ban modded consoles.

Just leave it in. You're more likely to end up with a brick by damaging it taking the chip out, than you are just leaving it alone.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  7. Yumeno

Yumeno Member

what? Is there such possibility/history of consoles getting bricked for having their modchips removed?

8. dipswich

dipswich Member

I've been playing online with my chipped Wii with no problems at all. There is ZERO chance that Nintendo will intentionally brick anyone's Wii with an update. Modded or not. Thats just asinine. It will not happen. If you are really THAT paranoid just add a switch to the vcc so that it can be disabled by removing power to the chip.

9. falcon209

falcon209 Regular member

I'm playing Mario Strikers Charged and Madden NFL '08 online (my wife sometimes plays Pokémon Battle Revolution) and have had no problems whatsoever with my modded Wii (and copied games played on that there modded Wii).

10. VGM

VGM Member

LIES! ALL LIES! :p
    I modded my Wii. My graphic chip over heated AGAIN, I took out the modchip and fixed up the solder joint. Big N never knew I modded it, cause I got it fixed! :p

then again I AM a pro solderer...haha!

VGM out...