1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ReMpeg speed - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by reddragon, Jan 11, 2003.

1. reddragon

reddragon Member

i ripped a movie to my hard drive, it is well over 2 hours long so i needed to use ReMpeg to re-encode the video to a lower bitrate in order to fit onto a DVD-R.

i was following a guide that said this is the longest part of the process, best to do before bed as it takes 6-8 hours.

the problem is - it took 21 hours and 20 minutes to finish. the result works perfectly, but why did it take so long to do?

has anyone else had similar results when doing this? is there anyway of making ReMpeg go faster? or is there a faster program out there?

2. timmshady

timmshady Guest

it all depends on the speed of your computer and the movie. i have a 1.6ghz, 512mb, xp. the longest it's taken me is 19 hours, the shortest, 7 hours. if your computer is a little slower than mine, 21 hours seems normal

3. mikeh4692

mikeh4692 Member

what were you trying to back up ?.

The most I have went with rempeg is 15 hrs

CCE 2.50 is at least twice as fast and better quality when finished

4. timmshady

timmshady Guest

if i remember right it was american history x that took me the longest, about 18 hours. my shortest so far was road trip at about 6 and a half hours