1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remux-ing Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gnfishin, Aug 5, 2002.

1. gnfishin

gnfishin Guest

I've ripped the main movie and ac3 out using smartripper (demuxing to extra file) and now I have 3 files(*.m2v, *.ac3 & vts_0x_0.ifo). Is there a way to remux them using IFOEdit instead of SpruceUp?

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

You can remux your *.m2v file with your original *.VOB files using Ifoedit. You dont need and ausdio files, they exist in the VOB files.

Dead easy.

By the way, why have you done this ??? When I demux, I use ReMPEG2 so the files are smaller to get onto a single DVD-R disc.

Please explain your strategy.

HomerJ

3. gnfishin

gnfishin Guest

Maybe I'm doing this in a roundabout way, but I couldn't seem to find a definitive guide for DVD to 1DVD-R when I started doing this. All the guides seemed to be missing something. So I took pieces from all of the guides and came up with this strategy...

Smartripper(movie only)-demux to extra file - gives me three files, *m2v, *ac3, *.ifo.
    Re-Encode m2v with rempeg2 if necessary.
    Import into SpruceUp and add chapters and menu.
    Export from SpruceUp back into a DVD volume.
    Correct new IFO file with IFOEdit if necessary.
    Burn with Primo.

So far, the process has worked well. No coasters yet. I guess I'm looking for a faster way to re-encode other than rempeg. 24 hours to re-encode on PIII 866 and 17 hours on Athalon 1.2 is tedious!

You must use an easier way. Would you mind sharing your strategy with me? I would love to use an easier and faster method!

Gone Fishin

4. dalboy

dalboy Member

5. HomerJ

gnfishin,

This is the way I do it.

Smartripper (2.41)
    Movie only mode.

File size is often too big, so need to downsize the files. Go to ReMPEG2.

Ifoedit (0.91)
    Use this to create RemPEG2 cffl file. Once opened the initial VTS*.IFO file

ReMPEG2 (1.5.2)
    Downsize the movie. (After using a bitrate calculator for best scalefactor)

Ifoedit (0.91)
    Remux the movie.
    Get VTS Sectors.

Nero (5.5.9.0)
    Burn the *.IFO *.BUP *.VOB

I've had very few problems with this method.

The main problem I had with ReMPEG2 was the encoding times 20hrs + on an Intel P3 600.

I fixed that by upgrading to an Intel P4 2Ghz. Now encoding is a lot less than 10hrs.

Please remember, this covers "Movie Only". There are no menus, subtitles, extras etc......

I just like to slot in the disc, and away it goes.

HomerJ

6. christoff

christoff Guest

why not just encode the first couple of vobs instead of the whole movie this saves a lot of time, dont go below 50% in rempeg .

7. ilscuro

ilscuro Member

why not just use tmpgenc or cce which are faster and better quality than rempeg

You reap what you sew

Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  8. malum

malum Regular member

Or indeed whack it on two discs, all the quality less time wasted.

9. HomerJ

Guys,

One thing to remember with the ReMPEG2 method is, it's not too difficult. And if you think it is, then heaven help you if you go down the CCE route.

Splitting a disc is also pretty straight forward, but a lot of people don't like the thought of having to change a disc half way through a movie. If you don't mind, then great, this is probably the best method for you.

Using CCE and Spruce Up is far from straight forward. (Just getting hold of the programmes is hard enough)

I have just completed my first movie using these tools, and it's taken me over a week to get all the bits in place. Having said that, I'm expecting to speed things up significantly over the next few days.

I would not go back to ReMPEG2, but I very much appreciate that it got me started.

Learning as I go, I have begun to understand that quite a few of the programs overlap in their functionality, so people need to be careful in how they "assemble" their process.

For example, you can rip all files using Smartripper, then use Ifoedit to Strip streams (movie for example)

Using Smartripper, you can rip the movie only, then use Ifoedit to create new VOBs. No difference, just a different way of doing things.

Homerj :)

10. ilscuro

ilscuro Member

there are loads of guides on how to use cce and spruce up try vcdhelp.com or doom9.org there really is no comparison to cce regarding speed and quality, i can encode a 2 hour film in around an hour and a half with no distinguishable loss of quality and then import the resulting mpv and audiofile into spruce up what could be easier than that? its never failed me yet. i cant understand how people can wait 10 hours or more using rempeg

you reap what you sew

11. gnfishin

gnfishin Guest

HomerJ and others,

Thanks for all the responses. I'm done with ReMPEG2. Using TMPG now and it's a bit faster. Still takes 15 hours or so. Tried Doom9's guide to CCE. Steep learning curve there!

My current method works well but I would like to learn a different way. HomerJ, a few questions...

1). Does your method preserve the chapters? In other words, can I skip through the movie?

2). I assume your using SmartRippers "Files" mode and are ending up with a bunch of VOBs? Movie files only.

3). How do you use IFOEdit to create a cffl file for ReMPEG?

4). Where does the initial VTS*.IFO come from? Should I have selected and ripped it from the DVD as well, even though Smartripper didn't automatically select it?

Thanks,

Gnfishin

12. dalboy

dalboy Member

I had problems with TMPG taking around 20 hours, upgraded my pc to XP1900+ with 512ddr memory, now encodes in just over 7 hours. Costs a little bit, but it's worth it

13. HomerJ

gnfishin,

Good questions, answers as follows :-

1). Does your method preserve the chapters? In other words, can I skip through the movie?

Yes

2). I assume your using SmartRippers "Files" mode and are ending up with a bunch of VOBs? Movie files only.

Basically, movie mode gives you just the movie VOBs, File mode will give you these, plus the IFO's etc, Which you will need some time or other. The important point to remember at this point is, look at the movie file size in Smartripper. If it's greater than say 4.3GB then you will be needing to do some sort of encode, so you might as well use Ifoedit to create new ones later. If, it looks like it will fir onto a DVD-R disc with no re muxing, then rip the VOBs with Smartripper.

3). How do you use IFOEdit to create a cffl file for ReMPEG?

Open up the movie, go to the top left hand of the screen, there's an item marked "Tools" left click this. The drop down box has an item marked "create ReMPEG cffl" Left click this and follow instructions.

4). Where does the initial VTS*.IFO come from? Should I have selected and ripped it from the DVD as well, even though Smartripper didn't automatically select it?

I think I answered this one in question 2.

Don't forget, IFOs & BUPs aren't encrypted files, you can just copy them about. But, make sure you copy the right ones, because there are often more than one when you have menus, extras etc...

If you are ripping a "movie only" you should have just one set at the end of your process.

HomerJ