1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental DVD's WONT play on toshiba laptop*WITH PowerDVD installed

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by mandroid, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mandroid

mandroid Guest

Okay, well now I have a whole NEW baby...I let someone try to "work" on my pc and they wiped out my dvd drive...He said it happened when he was updating the firmware. I got an external drive and was able to play the dvd, but it is very choppy. Well, I am now going to just get rid of it. Again, thank you all for help. Sorry I couldn't complete this mission.

2. Pea27

Pea27 Member

I am having a very similar problem with my toshiba satellite s1800-400. It only plays "Return to Oz" on DVD and NOTHING else. It seems toshiba make these things with a mind of their own!!

3. mandroid

mandroid Guest

Good Luck! My personal advice would be to buy another DVD/Cd rom drive*** Don't take that literally though, because I could be wrong, but I was at least able to play DVD's on the external drive.

4. Pea27

Pea27 Member

It plays CDs too, which is just really wierd. No1 ever buy anything made by toshiba its rubbish!! I might get an external DVD but then I was worried it would run slow/skip using USB1 so sum1 suggested a PCMCIA card with USB2 and a USB2 DVD drive... sounds.... expensive!

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Food for thought,

USB card to go from USB 1.0 to USB 2.0, is under $20.00.
    A DVD/HD exterior case, costs $39.99.
    A brand new Pioneer 109 16X, DL burner, $85.00.

You'll always use it - either for an external (as I do) OR you can install it in your next PC. The speed will be fine, the quality, good and the cost affordable. It wasn't all that long ago that just a DVD burner (a 4X at that) cost almost $200.00. My have times changed :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  6. razzza

razzza Member

I have read with interest this forum on reasons why dvd movies will not play. I have been burning movies for some time now and up until recently have not tried to play them back on my pc. I did of course try but end up with an error message of the type that is sent to microsoft. I have tried numerous player to see if that was the problem but to no avail. I rang a techie and he reccommended I reinstall windows because when I tried to play using windows media player without first installing a decoder (Intervideo), he reckons some settings have been locked down by windows with settings made to the registry that will not allow associated file types to be used elsewhere (??// dont know what is going on there) he said never use windows media player as it stuffs everything up. So does anyone know what is happening here I need help. Note: Region is set and have one turn left. tried running Dvd region killer, updated the firmware, tried playing unburnt movies. I have a cd drive slaved to the dvd drive. By default the dvd drive shows up as a cd drive.(unless there is dvd media in drive) I can post a log of the error report to anyone who can understand it. Have a asus DRW-0804P DVD+-R/RW Drive

7. colw

colw Active member

Try defragmenting system and replacing interface between chair and keyboard (possible malfunction).

8. razzza

razzza Member

Colw, I think statements like that from a "senior member" are at the least unfortunate. I have tried everything. Will try defragmenting system as you say but do not know how this will help. Am running 3.2Ghz multi thread intelP4 processor, 2000mb ram, 200 Gb hard drive. Can burn the movies just can not play them back.using any software, just get same error message no. 0xc00000ld. Help would be appreciated, user interface does need some work. If I knew as much as you lot I wouldn't be posting I would be helping. Thanks

9. razzza

razzza Member

Right then, I defragmented the drive, nothing. Same error. Must be a registry setting from one of the programs. Is there any way other than formatting the hard drive and re-installing windows to rectify this problem.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@razzza,

You my friend need an severe attitude adjustment.

For starters, you owe Cowl an apology.
    He endeavored to help you and you had the gall to slap him down.
    You're not making friends with that kind of treatment. Pple are here on their free time to help others - you want to have an attitude ? Try going to a $$$$ Pay for site - even with you paying them, they won't take mouth from you. We won't either.

We'll be waiting for your apology -

Many pple don't look at the simple things and a fragmented drive will cause the problems you're experiencing.

Now, to address you problem . . .

You haven bothered to tell us what media you're using.

Do your discs play on standalone players ?

Get back to us with what you're using -

BTW InterVideo's player sucks as does WMP. Most pple here use PowerDVD as it is compatible with most everything –

Pete

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  11. Pea27

Pea27 Member

If somebody said this to me I would have said something worse back! The reason ppl r here is to seek expert knowledge from those of you lucky enough to know.
    I dont mean to offend ne1 but I think no apology is necessary!
    Cant we all just get along? Because we all know that if people who know how to fix the problems us silly ppl hav didnt want to, then they wudnt b on the forum!
    Just to let u kno that I installed Power DVD the other day, and now some DVDs will play but the playback is a little skippy, as I have never used Power DVD before are there any settings I can change or something to improve playback? thankyou :)

12. razzza

razzza Member

Scuba Pete,
    "You my friend need an severe attitude adjustment.

For starters, you owe Cowl an apology.
    He endeavored to help you and you had the gall to slap him down.
    You're not making friends with that kind of treatment. Pple are here on their free time to help others - you want to have an attitude ? Try going to a $$$$ Pay for site - even with you paying them, they won't take mouth from you. We won't either.

We'll be waiting for your apology -"

I have read many of your replies to people like myself who are in need of help and have never once seen you talk to anyone in a demeaning manner, no matter how silly the question. You think I slapped Colw down, that the treatment was bad and I need an attitude adjustment.

That was nothing.

I simply said that his statement was unfortunate,given his position in afterdawn. I guess I am a little defensive about my position as not knowing enough about the ins and outs of computers also coupled with the fact I had spent long tedious hours trying to solve the problem without bothering you lot. I had defragmented the drive just 2 weeks prior to posting, coupled with uninstalling Intervideo and installing other decoders such as windvd, and some others downloaded for good measure.I had updated the firmware. These attempts were all made from reading the replies made to other people. An attitude adjustment I do not need, I had done the homework, I had answers for all questions, and had tried everything I could before calling on your time.

If Colw was being sarcastic and I didn't read that through the text then Colw, I am sorry. The statement I made to you was not neccessary and I should have taken your statement with a grain of salt.I do appreciate that you all provide this help free of charge and we all as newbies appreciate what you are doing for us.

If you still feel like helping then this is where I am at.

Reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows. Same error message. I think it is a hardware problem. Something to do with the way I slaved a cd drive to the dvd drive so will remove drive and try that. Will also get Power DvD and try that as well.

Thankyou for your time, I may even look at adjusting my short fuse.

13. razzza

razzza Member

Scuba
    I am using SKC DVD-R 4X, TDK DVD+ and - 4 and 8X, also tried to play stamped media from video store. My discs all play on standalone player. I can still burn the discs, I just can not play them.
    Thankyou
    Razzza

14. razzza

razzza Member

For those of you who want to know,
    I downloaded some codecs for a game that wouldnt play due to the video at the start of the game, the game then played. Before checking to see if a dvd would also play I installed powerdvd and low and behold ALL dvd's now play on my pc. Dont know whether it was the codecs or powerdvd but who cares because they play.

I am a very happy man.

Thankyou Scuba Pete for your help. It was invaluable and I do appreciate it. I would especially like to thank Pea27 for his support in what was a trying time for me.:):):):)

colw.
    Isn't it funny how a little power and a lot of distance can make the weak feel strong :)

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Hi all,
    On the matter of players, I noticed InterVideo took a bit of a rap. I've been using WinDVD6 for some time and have found it to be an excellent program. My usage and my opinion there. I haven't checked surveys to see what everyone else is saying. However, some of my friends who are Seniors and Addicts use the same software and they think it is superior to most players on the market. In fact, it was at one of their suggestions that I first tried it out. http://www.intervideo.com There is a full function trial for anyone interested in an actual test of the app. Just make sure the PC is compatible and any necessary software is installed (all free and most systems already have things like the latest DirectX). I've seen a couple of instances where people had problems, but it was mostly because they neglected to read the requirements for using the software. BTW, WinDVD6 is compatible with everything I've tried it with.

PowerDVD... if it works for you, by all means use it. There are a number of decent players out there. Besides, WinDVD6 is a bit pricey, but I think it's worth what I paid for it. Sometimes you get what you paid for, I did in this case.

16. razzza

razzza Member

Bro Bear,
    it would be interesting to talk to you further about the differences in decoders. I was using intervideo but nothing would work. I have heard that the player is pretty good but I had no luck. I find powerdvd to be a little patchy so would like to get win dvd going.Am running directx 9.0c. The rest of the info is above if you are interested. I am certainly interested in finding out what the problem was before.

Razzza

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

razzza,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it seems there was this Surgeon with a scalpel that had my name on it, I've been dodging him for weeks but he finally cornered me – I'm back from the hospital now and feeling better -

Glad that you are "Playing" again,

Sorry I jumped so fast before BUT we don't know everyone who posts here and you told us none of what you did or tried, etc. When asking for help I haven't seen a case where we have received too much information (Lol) - Generally, the PC's specs, any errors, when they occurred what you were doing when they happened, DVD's OR file types involved, All programs involved, drives specs, etc.

Information = Solutions
    Precise and prolific information = Faster and final Solutions

Now that you're doing well, it doesn't mean it's time for you to up and move on - this is a give and take kind of a deal ~

You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it. - Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, teaching is a learning experience too, you know :)

Take a few minutes and check out our opening page. We've got a ton"O"stuff here at aD ~ Checkout some of our other forums, we have the "Safety Valve" a forum about anything - from "What's bugging you," to, "Where members come from" OR "The best joke you've ever heard." More free time on your hands ? Check out our forum's on Home Theater components (there might be an idea for something new to do with yours), CD's, PS2's, X-box or Gamecube topics OR check out the forum on Cellular phones, something new about yours might be there ~ one can never tell :)

Me ? Well I'll be over there, behind the water cooler, under the potted Palm, sipping a "cold one" and chewing the fat, trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders.

- Feel free to stop by and say "Howdy" ~

I'll expect to Sea ya soon,

Cheers,

Pete :b)

18. razzza

razzza Member

Cheers Pete,
    you sound like a top bloke. Hope you feeling better. Somehow get the feeling you would rather be sipping the cold one in the hot sun on a fiji beach instead of in front of the pc though. I have to say a little knowledge is dangerous, I want to do and learn more and in the end I touch what doesn't need touching. Have lost count on the amount of reformats I have done to save myself.

I am not sure what fixed my computer, if it was powerdvd then why did it work and not the others. Was it the protected content, a registry setting, the codecs, I am baffled. I will work it out one day though.

In the meantime I have to make a circuit that takes a degraded analogue signal and turn it into a thresholded digital signal of the same polarity. For good measure I have a analogue exam and lab report to hand in this week as well. Think I would rather be under the knife.

Will help out where I can Pete but like I said am not sure if I know enough to be of any assistance. A bit of Delphi and thats it really.
    (I know less than most there as well.)

Hope to learn more from you

Razza

19. kanum

kanum Member

how come only five times?

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Drive makers keeping the MPAA happy.