1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace Xbox 360 drive without original for key?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by penchant, Aug 27, 2007.

1. penchant

penchant Member

I recently purchased a supposedly working xbox 360 that it said to have no dvd drive. So far my understanding is that in order to get a new drive to work one must have the original for the key. . .another place said something about getting the key from the motherboard, though (eh?).

If one must have the original drive to replace it, what about people who want to, say, replace a hitachi with a samsung? I know people do this, but this just confuses me more! I know drive firmware doesn't have interbrand compatibility.

Perhaps I'm just missing something. . .or a lot of things. Xbox 360 drive replacing information appears to be much more difficult to find than drive modding information. I don't want to mod it - I just want a working 360.

Since it has no dvd drive to begin with, am I totally screwed?

2. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

yep, as of now you are.
    you must have the orig key to replace it.
    in order to replace a hitachi with a samsung you would need to remove the key fron the hitachi or vise versa.
    you dont have a drive at all so yeah your screwed unless the person you bought the system from has it.

3. penchant

penchant Member

What if I got a working drive pulled from a 360 instead of a fresh one? Are keys specific to drives or specific to system/drive combinations?

4. Memnock

Memnock Active member

The keys tie DVD drive to motherboard. Right now they can be extracted from Hitachi and Samsung drives, but not BenQ drives or the motherboards. So a motherboard without the key is pretty useless right now. Sorry.