1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replaced BA5815FM chip but still got problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by PS2reset, Feb 21, 2007.

1. PS2reset

PS2reset Member

Hi. I didn't know where to ask about my problem, but I heard this forum is very helpful, so I decided to post here.

I had problem with my v4 PS2 and based on google searches all symptoms (no video/audio, tray wont eject, cd spindle wouldn't spin, no blue light, laser wont move, lens wouldn't light up with red beam) led to fact that my BA chip (BA5815FM) burned out along with fuse next to it, so i ordered replacement parts from online store and just received it.

I followed guide on some site I googled on how to remove and install BA chip and after intense testing for bridges and shorts everything tested good. So I decided to check and power up my PS2.

First thing I noticed the red, green, and blue light work fine like they should; the tray ejects fine like it should; cd spindle would spin fine but only for 1 second and stop; the lens would light up fine with red beam when I reset or close tray, but my laser still wouldn't move at all along the rails. And most importantly I was still getting blank screen, but this time it was different - when I power on ps2 the screen would flicker which would usually be followed by sony cloud but it wasn't; before BA replacement my TV screen would be completely dead black as if ps2 was not sending out video signal at all.

So I checked connections again like hundred times - all checks fine, no bridges, all pins seem to be touching motherboard. Also all fuses on motherboard check out OK, including the one next to BA chip.

So I read on some other site that somebody had similar problem (but they had video signal working) and they replaced BA5815FM but still had problem like me, so few people confirmed that that person will also have to change BA6664FM chip that is on the in the other corner of the motherboard.

What do you guys think will BA6664FM fix my PS2 video and laser movement problem, or are my symptoms telling you that something else is wrong?

Sorry I wrote a lot, I started writing and couldn't stop.

My hope is somebody can help me on this. Thanks in advance.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

how much are these chips? It may be easier just to send it to a mod shop and have them fix it once and for all instead of replacing parts until you get it worked out.

3. PS2reset

PS2reset Member

There problem is the repair service will set me back at least $50 plus s/h. I would rather buy another working motherboard for $40 if all else fails. Thats why I am asking about another BA chip - they're only $8.95.