1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replaced laser, but drive still not working

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by UMDJ, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

ok here goes, i a couple days ago decided to tweak my hitachi 59 a bit more than it previously was. that resulted in what i suspect to be a burnout of the laser. when ever the xbox was on and a game was inserted it would say "open tray", it wouldnt eject on command, and the light in the laser never came on.

so i went to ebay and purchased two laser from 2 different sellers, i already have one. i tried that laser, and there is still no red light, the drive acts normally, but just no red light, and ofcourse the disc doesnt spin because its not picking up that there is a disc.

does this sound like a laser problem again or something else. i dont think its the ribbon because if the laser is out of place, it does go back to its default spot when the power is cycled

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. leerage

leerage Regular member

Did you desolder the static point on the new laser?

4. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

i surely did

5. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

another question, doesnt the the disc motor supposed to spin when the xbox is turned on, or is that only triggered by a working laser. i was flashing a friends xbox today and i noticed that when the power is cycled the motor spins, while the red light flashes.

my disc motor doesnt spin, can that mean my drive is completely f*****

6. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

BenQ, Lite-on do a big spin even with no disc and Samsung spins a bit, Hitachi only spins if there's a disc detected, otherwise it will display open tray.

7. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

thanks steo, that eases my fear a bit of having a dead drive. now all i need to do is wait for another laser, while i get a refund for the last one i purchased

8. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

I got a new laser for a hitachi 0079FL today and got the solder blob off and it didn't light up, I scraped at the solder with a precision screwdriver, still no light, scraped at it again (nearly digging into the whole thing) and tried again, expecting no light and to have wasted €15 but to my surprise it lit up and I was staring straight at it (nearly blinded myself haha) so I tried a disc and it read perfect.

You might aswell try the same since yours is already useless.

EDIT: the laser ribbon cable could be loose on the pcb part because the motor always moves the laser in on startup and detects when it's fully in, then tries to read after moving out by 2mm. The disc motor in a hitachi has a small plastic tab and when the laser hits that it tells the drive to move it out a bit and try to detect a disc.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  9. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

thanks ,im gonna try that now

10. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

well, i just tried your idea, it didnt work for me. i'm assuming that you were using the precision screw driver to scrape in between the lines where the solder blob was. when i turn on the xbox, i see the laser go up and down, but no red light

good thing the holiday is over now (US) now mail is back on schedule for delivery

11. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

Yeah I just scraped all around until it was actually dented inwards (I didn't have a soldering iron handy). If you can see the laser adjusting up and down that means it's getting power from your drives pcb so the drive isn't dead. If you have been unplugging the ribbon cable make sure there's no dirt on it and no parts are bending or breaking on the connections.

12. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

i may have caused the laser to become even more inoperative. the laser position horizontally wont adjust itself, and it doesnt respond to the eject request(using 360 remote)

13. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

maybe not. i pushed the laser all the way to the lil tab for the disc spinner, and now it open and closes on command, and it does move itself back by the 2 mm you stated earlier. but no red light. o well, hopefully laser is waiting in the mailbox for me. probaly not. from hong kong, ordered on last tues or wed

14. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

im considering just buying a new drive off of ebay, or a broken xbox of some local, and spoofing the drive if necessary

15. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

If you get another laser and it doesn't work keep the laser safe as a spare and get a new drive. You could even get another Hitachi and swap the pcb from yours to the new one so no flashing will be required.

16. UMDJ

UMDJ Regular member

well steo, i figured out that the laser i purchased was fine, it was indeed the ribbon.even though the laser moved, the ribbon was still f*****. i purchased a rrod 360 that has a sam drive. it uses the same ribbon and laser. so i swap em out to put into my hitachi. but guess what, the laser lights up and moves, but it wont read, not even originals. i then spoof the sam as hitachi, put back the laser and ribbon, but still nothing.

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.