1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement dvd drive

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bigntasty, Aug 10, 2004.

1. bigntasty

bigntasty Member

My dvd drive in my playstation is broken and I need to find a replacement. Does each version of playstation need a different type of dvd drive also what brand should I get. I heard that one of the brands sony used has the most problems.
    Also were can I purchase one.
    Thanx

2. bigntasty

bigntasty Member

3. bigntasty

bigntasty Member

noone has any ideas

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

To my knowledge, I believe that Sony uses Sanyo drive in all PS2's. For the most part you should use a replacement from an identical PS2 although some versions are interchangable. The newer drives are more reliable but they are not interchangable with older units. Are you sure you need the entire drive? They are very hard to find. Usually it's the lens that goes out and there are sites that sell them. You could try http://www.lik-sang.com or http://www.gameconsolerepair.com but you might find it easier to just buy a dead unit off of ebay that's not described as having disc read errors. What problems are you having with this machine anyway?

5. bigntasty

bigntasty Member

I get disk read errors and I opened it up and blew off the lens but that did't help. So I assume I only need the lens.

6. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

You could try other things like adjusting the white cog to adjust the angle, or adjust the pots on the underside of the laser unit. More than likely the laser isnt dead and you can probably get some more wear out of it.

7. bigntasty

bigntasty Member

are there any guides to do this??

8. azzman

azzman Member

yes there are guides in the forums somewhere... or just search ps2 laser calibration or adjustment in google there are heaps of sites.
    i adjusted the white cog on my ps2 because it wouldnt play cd based games. it worked a bit but i think i just need a new ps2. it might work for you though because my ps2 is very old.

9. azzman

azzman Member

it did help to read dvd based games a lot faster though...