1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Pioneer DVR-104 "communication failure" ????

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by RAMA, Jun 29, 2002.

1. RAMA

RAMA Member

I just got a Pioneer DVR-104 replaced after the other one produced exactly the same error as this one. What does this mean (from the VOB software)?:

An error occured while writing track 1 at position 0.
    Extended information:
    Device: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104 (F:)
    HARDWARE ERROR: LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION TIME-OUT
    70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 08 01
    2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00

I have tried everything (master, slave, nothing else on ide etc.) but nothing ever works. In Nero it says "communication failure" and I can never burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW disk. What the hell can I do about this?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Try disabling DMA on that IDE channel. Seems to work for some people...

3. RAMA

RAMA Member

Yeah it worked! :p

4. vengeance

vengeance Member

I have the same exact drive, and I still cannot get it to burn any DVDs. It will burn CDRs though... how did you get yours to work? I am so frustrated, I'm about to smash the drive...

5. stangman

stangman Guest

Disabling DMA on that drive worked for me too. I'm running XP Pro on an AMD chipset board with dual XP1900+. I tried the drive on a VIA chipset board and it worked fine with DMA enabled, but not with the AMD chipset. What's crazy about this whole deal is back when UDMA became popular on motherboards you never wanted it enabled on a CD-ROM drive. Then as drives got faster and faster they began to support UDMA. Now when you get a cutting edge drive you have to revert back to old architecture (PIO mode). Anyways, I hope this will help someone else out too.

6. Manny:)

Manny:) Guest

I have the pioneer burner, but it is from Que! or QPS and so it is hooked to my laptop through a USB 2.0 port. I am getting the communtication error and I have no idea about how to change the DMA in the IDE channel or that type of stuff, so I would really appreciate any help.
    THANX.

Oh, yeah. I have XP home.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2002