1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing DVD drives

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by tiny35, Apr 13, 2007.

1. tiny35

tiny35 Member

I just won a 360 off of ebay that MAY need to have the dvd drive replaced. Won;t know until it gets shipped to me. Anyways, my question is, if I do have to replace this drive, does the replacement HAVE to be and identical drive? Say, if it has an hitachi will the replacement need to be an hitachi drive or could I use the samsung drive?? Please advise. Also, I was looking on llama's website and saw some interesting tools on that site. Like the SATA/USB connector kit for dvd drives...does anyone know how well that works? I want to try that out...please advise.

2. tiny35

tiny35 Member

3. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

no i am pretty sure you can use any drive you want just as long as the dvd drive key from the firmware are correct. such as if you have hitachi, make sure you integrate the dvd drive key from that drive into the samsung drive. you can do it very easily with firmware toolbox 3.0

4. mshack1

mshack1 Guest

5. tiny35

tiny35 Member

What about that modding tool that I left a link for above? Has anyone ever heard of that? Does it work? Is it easier to use than the other methods??