1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Replacing faulty HDD with a new one

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hoza1, Apr 2, 2015.

1. hoza1

hoza1 Member

So I've been having some issues with my Hard Drive/s dying lately.

About 3 months ago my ye olde HDD got busted, while I was using my present HDD as a secondary one, and had to ditch that once my system started to neglect its existence. Now I've been getting relatively similar signs with my current one; makes more noise, slowdowns, taking extra time opening folders, games load stuff like sounds slowly, shutting down takes extra time etc. etc.

I'm also getting the constant notification saying "Your HDD is dying pls back up your files" on Win 8.1. Tried using Seagate HDD checker on DOS, and got a flood of errors at 70% mark and said the same thing. This morning my comp had some difficulty of detecting my HDD since it kept spitting the BIOS settings at me, but got over it with a few resets.

My HDD is gonna R.I.P itself soon I know that, but I'm wondering if this problem or whatever got transferred from my original HDD? Virus? I'm hoping its just a coincidence that my HDD's are just dying a "natural" death. Hardly ever defragged them anyway.

To sum up my tl:dr question: Is it safe to just kick out my current HDD, incinerate it, get a new one, a completely fresh start. And whatever problem I might have had with my previous ones wouldn't show up few months later with my new HDD? Theoretically anyway.

Thank you.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a new drive as they have about 3yr plus in warranty.

3. dikbozo

dikbozo Member

As a builder since the late 1990's, I would suggest you consider the PSU and its age and usage conditions. These things don't last forever and though you can boot from it, it may not be supplying enough or the right levels of power for your system. I have seen this before. BTW yes, by all means get a new HDD.