1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing hard drive...can i do this??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by limelight, Jan 17, 2005.

1. limelight

limelight Regular member

I have an old 40GB 5400rpm hard drive. Id like to replace it with an 80gb 7200 8mb western digital HD. I dont want two hard drives, just the bigger faster one. My question is, is there a way i can copy everthing from my 40gb, (including the OS and all), to the 80gb one? this way i can trash the old one, or erase it and ebay the thing.

2. jimbodd

jimbodd Member

Shouldn't be a problem. I think it is Maxtor (maybe all of them, now) that supplies you with a floppy diskette that will copy, bit by bit, all of your c:\ drive to the new drive. You need such software because it isn't just a matter of copying one drive's files to another because of the sector indexes, etc.

If possible, you might find this a nice opportunity to reinstall your Windows system and applications. Not a bad idea every couple of years. If you do that, copy your valuable data off to a CD just in case you can't read from your old drive to the new one.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

could use norton ghost to clone 1 drive to another

4. limelight

limelight Regular member

There's a slight problem. With the WD hard drives, it says if i want to use only the new drive, then ill need the windows xp disc that came with my pc. since then i have replaced the motherboard with an Asus, and the disc says it will only work with an emachines pc, (which by the way, the disc is cracked.)

this norton ghost, it will do it all for me though?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes, used it on new years eve to copy a customer's hd from mine to theirs

6. limelight

limelight Regular member

i didnt even have to use ghost. i just followed the instructions with the hd and then used the software that came with it to copy the files. worked great, didnt take much time either.