1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing My Xbox360 Drive

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by KMCGamer, May 19, 2011.

1. KMCGamer

KMCGamer Member

Hello people of afterdawn. Thanks for lookin at my post. So what im saying is that my xbox drive is shot. Ive modded it a few times, lost the dvd key a few times. So the key is long gone and i am stuck with a drive that i cant mod because my probe wont read the Lite-on key. The drive is a Lite-on 7 series and i want to replace it. How would i go about doing so? Is it possible to replace it with a benq? This has had me puzzled for a while and i dont know where to go or what to do. Is there any possible way to get a benq or any other drive without buying an entirely new xbox? I need some suggestions quick. THANKS!

2. cab0747

cab0747 Member

First, if you can not get the key with the probe, you will have to send it to someone who can read the key off of the chip.

Second, without the key, your xbox just becomes a space heater/DVD player. YOU NEED THAT KEY!

Third,you can replace the Liteon with a BenQ if you only play offline. Once you go online, your console will be banned and your XBL account may be banned as well.

Lastly, there are quite a few mod shops that sell new drives. You can also find them on ebay. However, the drives tend to be very expenive. Most Liteons go for about $40, if not more.

In sumamry, You need the DVD key. If you can get it yourself, you are looking at spending about $25 for someone to get the key for you. After you have the key, you need the same make/model drive if you want to go online. A 'new' liteon drive will run you about $40. So, you are not at a $65 price tag for the entire operation. In addition to the cost, you must know how to do all of this properly and take the time to do so.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. KMCGamer

KMCGamer Member

So what i got from this is if i cant find anyone in the area that can get my dvd key (and i dont want to mail it out), that i would need to buy a new xbox? Basically what happened was the update came today i just said screw it and downloaded it. Now i cant read discs anymore, which im totally cool with. Would this just mean that i am safe now and i can start to buy games again?

4. Modking30

Modking30 Regular member

If the drive powers on, then you can redump the keys. If a probe doesn't work, then you'll need to do the MRA hack or use a lizard or x360usb