1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reply to a PM

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fasfrank, Nov 7, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi jig895,
    We are not supposed to answer any questions that are could be answered in the general forums at Afterdawn. Thats so we don't get our mail boxes fuller than they already are! Its in the rules somewhere..I'll just copy and paste this over to AD! That way all can see my wonderful answer! ;)

Anyhow, The first thing you would need to do is to check and make sure the video files of the movies are in a location you can find on your HD.

Open Shrink and select "Open Files" find the first movie and then select ReAuthor. Drag the parts you want into the compilation window on the left.

The next thing to do is to go to the dropdown menu on the right. (Make sure the "DVD Browser" tab is selected first!)

All you need to do now is find the other titles double clicking as you go. Once you find them just drag them into the compilation window where the first title you put in is located. I always make what is called a scratch folder to put my project files in. That way I can find em later.

If you have more questions, post em here and you can get more help than just what I can give you!

Cheers,
    Frank

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

fasfrank,

did you send a link to jig895?

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I did!

4. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

when i backup a movie to my comp the movie file itself is just usually a part of my hard drive. which means as soon as i select c drive its there. But when I select open files and go to where it was before its not there. any thoughts?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

After you get done processing the movie and are ready to back it up, you want to put it in a specific location so you can find it again.

Try this:

As soon as you select "Backup", a window will appear with your Backup options. The first tab is "Target Device". The top drop-down menu is "Select backup target". From this menu, select "Hard Disk Folder".

The drop-down menu below that is the "Select target folder for DVD output files" menu. There may be some sort of default setting in there that may have just a general drive letter for a target, ie C:\. You can make it easier to find by specifying an exact address on your hard drive. This is pretty easy to do, but if you don't do it then Shrink will just write to the default general address, making it hard to find.

So select the "Browse" radio button. This opens up a browser window. Start by highlighting the drive you want your files in. C:\ is a good choice. Just move the scroll bar until you find C:\ and click on it. Notice that in the Folder block below the browser window it now says Local Disk (C:). Note that your C:\ drive has lots of folders already, such as Documents and Settings, Program Files, etc. You could put your files in any of these folders or sub-folders of these folders, My Videos, for example. I wouldn't though. It is a lot easier to find if your files are in a folder that is just a sub-folder of the lettered drive.

So.... if you have your C drive in the folders window, just click the Make New folder button. Now you want to type in a name you can find. Try Shrink Scratch Folder or anything else you can remember.(The name of the movie works well too!) Once that is done, select Backup! and Shrink will write the files to this location. When Shrink is finished you will get a Backup Complete message. It will have a link to your files. It should say C:\Shrink Scratch Folder\VIDEO_TS. Click on the link and you should jump to that location. You should find some .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files there. You are just checking to see if they are there. You do not do anything with them now.

<How to Make A Compilation!>

Now if you want to add this movie to another just load the first movie in once it is done analyzing, select Re-author. On the right side of the Re-author window you will see your movie titles listed. Note that at the top of this side there are two tabs, the Compression Settings and DVD Browser tabs. It should be on the DVD Browser tab. So look at the list of titles and find the Main Movie/Title 1. Drag it over into the compilation window on the left.

Now it's time to find and load the movie you did earlier. Just below the tabs on the right, click on the drop-down menu to open it. Find C:\ and click on it. You should be able to find the Shrink Scratch Folder you made earlier. double click on it.
    You should now see the title for this movie appear on the right side of the screen. Drag this over to the left and you now have both movies in the compilation.

It usually looks like this:
    Title 1
    Title 1 (2)

All that is left to do is to add any other titles and then select backup! If you have Nero you can enable it in Preferences and it will burn your DVD once Shrink is through backing up the compilation.

Hope this helps,
    Frank

6. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

thank you fasfrank. Advice like this is why I tell everyone to come to afterdawn. I appreciate all your help and patience.