1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REQUIRED HARD DISK SPACE FOR DVD BURNING?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by deeswift, Dec 7, 2003.

1. deeswift

deeswift Member

Hello all... seeing as this is my first post here, I hope I put it in the right section..

Basically, a friend of mine needs some help. He just posted the message below at my forum but I can't really help him because I'm new to DVD burning myself:

"I've finally decided to bite the bullet and pick up a Pioneer 106 from SVP communications - http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk - but the thing I'm not sure about is the amount of hard disc space I need for burning DVDs.

I have read that the minimum req'd HD space is 10GBs, and the recommended amount is 20GBs. I also read in a forum where someone had 7gigs free (like me), but was having problems with BSOD when burning DVDs. Someone replied to him, saying that 7 gigs wasn't enough for burning DVDs...

So whats this all about then? Do I need to front for a new HD as well then? Cos that was the whole idea of me getting a DVD burner in the first place - to back up all my movies and MP3s and streamline my HD."

Can any of you knowledgable heads help on us out on this one? Thanks in advance!

:)

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

H deeswift, To safely backup a dvd movie, you need a minimum of 10 gig free HD space. The reason is some dvd movies are close to 9 gig (called dvd 9).
    When you rip and decrypt the movie to hard drive it has to fit somewhere. Then you burn it back to a blank dvd media. Once this is done, you can delete the HD movie files. Some programs do it automatically. If the movie is what is called a dvd 5, then it is less than 5 gig. This will fit in 7 gig space on HD and should work till you burn back to blank. But your getting close to your limit. I didit for a while but you can't do dvd 9 versions. Check the guides on here for using dvdshrink to get dvd 9 to fit on dvd 5 blank. Jerry

3. deeswift

deeswift Member

Thanks Jerry, that's very helpful.

4. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

That not true at all, the most they (DVD-9)hold is 7.95 GB and the only dvds that fill that up are movies like the lord of the rings that are 3 hours long or moive w/ lots of special features. the only amount u need is about 4.38 w/ a compressor if u want to burn it onto another disk. u only need 7.95 if u want like an iso file on ur comp but that is pointless.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Well if you try to put 7.95 gig in a 7 gig space it won't work. I was using general sizes and I am right. If you get that close to filling up a HD you will have problems any way you look at it. Jerry

6. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

maybe u should get ur facts straight about mediums before u make misinformed comments

no they are more close to max 7.95 and i have not seen to may that even get within 2GB_

i think a dvd-5 will fit in a 4.38 GB space not 7GB___X_X_X_X_X_[small]Win xp sp1
    amd 2000+
    256MB ddr 333
    pioneer dvr-ao6
    NERO, DVD-DEcrypter, Shrink 3.0 beta 5[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2003
  7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Like I said general terms. What do you call them?
    I was just trying to help the guy keep from running out of space. I guess I don't know as much as you because I'm a Junior Member. And most of the forums including this one recommend about 10 gig of free space. If you want to cut it that close just do it. Jerry

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi deeswift, That Pioneer is a great upgrade for your friend's computer. I think he should spend the money on some more hard drive room if he can afford it. What does he have for a system?
    Frank

9. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

"That not true at all, the most they (DVD-9)hold is 7.95 GB and the only dvds that fill that up are movies like the lord of the rings that are 3 hours long or moive w/ lots of special features. the only amount u need is about 4.38 w/ a compressor if u want to burn it onto another disk. u only need 7.95 if u want like an iso file on ur comp but that is pointless."

The Ripster is contradicting himself. Most of the newer movies now contain more than 8 gigs. So youre right jerry...safest amount of free space would be about the 10gb area. I have 15gb on my c: drive but then again I dont save movies in my OS drive. I have another partition for media stuff. My 2 cents.

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    CloneDVD/AnyDVD
    Dvd2one/Nero6Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  10. koola

koola Guest

What RiPsTeR01 means is that you can rip from the DVD, compress it onto your HD. This way takes up less HD space per DVD.

Example: I wanna backup my DVD9 (8GB) to DVD-/+R.

You can use CloneDVD and AnyDVD which will backup the DVD9. AnyDVD Decrypts the DVD on-the-fly while CloneDVD rips and compresses the DVD9 to fit onto a DVD-/+R. This method only takes as much HD space as CloneDVD compresses the DVD9. So CloneDVD might compress the DVD9 to 4.3GB. This is how much HD will be taken as it then reads from the compressed DVD files and writes to a DVD-/+R.

So RiPsTeR01 was correct!

Jerry was also correct in saying that 10GB of HD space is enough.

These are just two different opinions!
    Everybody is correct.

Just thought I would set you guys straight before WW3 takes off :D

PS, deeswift, you need a big HD only for temp space while the DVD backup program rips/compresses/burns etc.
    If you do get a HD, make sure that you use the NTFS as FAT32 carn't handle files bigger than 4GB!

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thanks koola, I was just trying to help a guy so he wouldn't run out of HD space using general terms and sizes and get S--t for doing it. You and I know a movie can be compressed as much as you want, but maybe the new guy didn't yet. It was a simple HD space problem. Thanks again, you too cheezzz Jerry

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  12. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

ya because over 8 GB can fit on 7.95 GB

I dont mean to come off harsh i was tires last night but i hate misinformation_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Win xp sp1
    amd 2000+
    256MB ddr 333
    pioneer dvr-ao6
    NERO, DVD-DEcrypter, Shrink 3.0 beta 5[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2003