1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Research about why the ps2 is better than the Xbox (Dutch)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Marco1982, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Marco1982

Marco1982 Member

This site is in dutch. It test the performance of the Xbox and Ps2 and compares them.. unlike the technical specs say, there is more than meets the eye.. the Ps2 outperformes the Xbox on almost every aspect.. not bad for a machine that 2 years older right? (and it's still nowhere near it's full capacity.. unlike the Xbox).

hxxp://users.skynet.be/xsuw/xcpu.html

People that can't read dutch, will only be able to make out the calculations and the graphs.

2. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

Wow Marco are you able to summarise for us so that we can get the just of it.

I cant wait to see the PS3 performance.

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

just think what would have happen if the ps2 had the 256bit...

4. Marco1982

Marco1982 Member

Okay Mouth_uk I’ll give it a short try because I don’t have that much time on my hands.

(first page)

The Xbox has a 0.18 micron 733 Mhz celeron-clone processor, which support SSE instructions. The difference between a regular celeron and the X-CPU celeron-clone used for the Xbox is that the X-CPU has 128KB L2 8way SetA cache instead of 4way setA cache.. also the 133 MHZ front bus is implemented instead of the regular 100Mhz. Giving it a 15% performance boost. The L1 cache however remained at 16KB. The EE has a mere 300 Mhz and is still the faster one. How come?

Well, the Xbox is a mere 32 Bit-console.. whereas the EE (PS2’s emotion engine) is a 128 bit console. Also on top of that the X-CPU is a CISC where the EE is a RISC… which comes down to ..
    XCPU's CISC “Complex Instruction Set Computer” has as a disadvantige, it needs more Clockcycles to complete an instruction. It also supports a lot of exotic functions it will probably never us.
    The EE’s RISC “Reduced Instruction Set Computer” however negates this by have more simpler instructions which require same completion time per instruction: 1 clockcycle. This has as an advantage that it can complete a lot of instructions parallel to each other.

Shortly the Clockfrequenty doesn’t really tell you how powerfull the processor is. To really get the performance you should look at the number of Gflops (Giga Floating Point operations per second). The X-CPU has 3.1 Gflops where the EE has 6.2. For extra reference a 2.0 GHz P4 gets a mere 4.2 Gflops.

Another advantage of the EE is that the CPU <--> Memory Bandwith is 3.2GB/s where the XCPU gets a mere 1 GB/s

(shows first graph)

The EE is not only the faster one, but has a few extra’s. The Emotion Engine” name was called like that for a reason, it is specially designed for games. Certain functions as AI, animation, inverse kenetics, fysical appearance of character etc. can all be calculated more easily. These functions.. which are implemented in the EE engine aren’t so in the XCPU causing it to do more calculations.

5. Marco1982

Marco1982 Member

For now I did just page one.. It could be a while before I translate the other ones.. because I don't have that much time right now. I hope the translation is clear.. for the graph and all you still have to go to the site.

6. Mouth_uk

Mouth_uk Regular member

Thanks Marco, you're a star.

7. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

quite impressive that ps2 uses RISC.. while old pcs in the old days of the 28k modems used RISC tech on laptops and home pcs... today pcs use it less if not at all...

8. Vular

Vular Member

IF the ps2 is so much better, then why is it that when there's a game developed for both consoles that the xbox one always looks best?

9. Marco1982

Marco1982 Member

That's on the site as well.. in dutch though. I don't have the time to translate it now however.

10. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

thats a simple answer the xbox uses FSAA like in todays games.... FSAA means Full Screen Anti Aliansing... it uses the 2x level of it while todays top 3d cards can create up to 16x FSAA... what FSAA does it clears the pic more then usualy... and makes the game lil bit bulry... in other words it removes the jagies from the game... makes the games more smooth.. clear and still sustain the fps needed to run theg game... we all know that even tho xbox use the AA it still wont help the xbox in the games... today its more simple creating a game on ps2 then xbox... while ps2 and the xbox are consoles the xbox is STILL a pc like console.. the ps2 uses less complex things and in a more positive ways... while the xbox uses DirectX language to create and run games.. thats why xbox has more pretty games then ps2... but still most of game developers come from japan the home of ps2... just look at some games that came for the ps2 that look amazing... Ffinal Fantasy X.. Resident Evil games... GT3... this dont mean that xbox dont have games... xbox has midtown madness 3.. project gotham racing and who can forget dead or alive...

11. Vular

Vular Member

ic. Then I hope the xbox2 will be better then the original xbox if that's the case, seeing that so far it seems thay have teamed up with ibm, apple, and ati. No hard drive, either, it's supposed to have some other type of buy extra storage I think. Anyway I'll just buy both systems anyway so I hope there's good competition between everyone, it keeps the prices down and that makes me happy. :)